Got my CYA under control whooooo!!!

Sep 4, 2015
Charlotte,NC
So I came here looking for some help with algae to find out the evilness that is Tri-clor pucks. While they are easy to use, after a while of use they raise the CYA to such ridiculously high levels that you need to keep the FC very high. I did not know this and my FC was always around 5 or so which I thought was high. Well not if your CYA is 200+!!

So since sept I have gone to the BBB method and raised the FC to the levels indicated from pool math. I tried 4 times to remove a foot of water and refill to bring down the CYA as I was afraid to go more with the liner. I did have some issues a few weeks back of green algea, then I developed a leak(from sweeping with the brush I must have caught the 1 place in the pool its like a balloon between side and floor). I was losing over a inch a day and I couldn't find it so contacted a leak company and they told me to fill back up as they wanted to look at everything. So another 9-12 inches of water went in. CYA was still 150-180 using a 4:1 dilution so who knows the accuracy.

I was able to get my pool builder to come out to look before diver dan came out and he found and fixed the leak in like 4 minutes I kid you not saved me $500! He also told me it was ok to drain off 3' to get the CYA down which I did over the weekend. I tested water last night as I am traveling this week and it was still below skimmer so had another 6-8 inches left to go. CYA is 55! I tested 2X as I couldn't believe it! FC is at 9 so it was really really high last week as I was trying to combat the algae from a couple weeks back. I wanted to do a SLAM to get rid of it but it said FC of like 70 with CYA of 180 which is crazy. I was just trying to keep it under control until I could drain and refill to get CYA under control. I took almost 2 days to drain that much I cant wait to see the water bill. Ill test again when I get home Friday but this is really good news as I can now do a SLAM and put things to bed. I hope with the extra water its below 50 when I get home. Hopefully over the winter with rain and such it will be in the 40's to start the new season.

Now I just gotta figure out how to automate chlorine with a pump for next year.

:whoot: :party:

Depending on your level of DIY, I would suggest a SWG first. Then a stenner pump. And last, a liquidator. All of these are talked about quite a bit around here, so you will have lots of info and people to offer advice.

I thinking some type of stenner or similar pump. Pretty straight forward, Figure out how much I use a day, and figure out how much the pump puts out in say 1 hours and do the math for a timer. Since my chlorinator is still inline, I can use that as a injection point, just put it to max, drill a hole in top and add hose from stenner. I know about mixing tabs and liquid and its definetly empty.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.