Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Got my CYA under control whooooo!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Got my CYA under control whooooo!!!

So I came here looking for some help with algae to find out the evilness that is Tri-clor pucks. While they are easy to use, after a while of use they raise the CYA to such ridiculously high levels that you need to keep the FC very high. I did not know this and my FC was always around 5 or so which I thought was high. Well not if your CYA is 200+!!

So since sept I have gone to the BBB method and raised the FC to the levels indicated from pool math. I tried 4 times to remove a foot of water and refill to bring down the CYA as I was afraid to go more with the liner. I did have some issues a few weeks back of green algea, then I developed a leak(from sweeping with the brush I must have caught the 1 place in the pool its like a balloon between side and floor). I was losing over a inch a day and I couldn't find it so contacted a leak company and they told me to fill back up as they wanted to look at everything. So another 9-12 inches of water went in. CYA was still 150-180 using a 4:1 dilution so who knows the accuracy.

I was able to get my pool builder to come out to look before diver dan came out and he found and fixed the leak in like 4 minutes I kid you not saved me $500! He also told me it was ok to drain off 3' to get the CYA down which I did over the weekend. I tested water last night as I am traveling this week and it was still below skimmer so had another 6-8 inches left to go. CYA is 55! I tested 2X as I couldn't believe it! FC is at 9 so it was really really high last week as I was trying to combat the algae from a couple weeks back. I wanted to do a SLAM to get rid of it but it said FC of like 70 with CYA of 180 which is crazy. I was just trying to keep it under control until I could drain and refill to get CYA under control. I took almost 2 days to drain that much I cant wait to see the water bill. Ill test again when I get home Friday but this is really good news as I can now do a SLAM and put things to bed. I hope with the extra water its below 50 when I get home. Hopefully over the winter with rain and such it will be in the 40's to start the new season.

Now I just gotta figure out how to automate chlorine with a pump for next year.
    Location Charlotte NC. Pool is a IG vinyl liner, 18X36 lagoon approx. 20,000 gallons odd shaped pool with different depths. 2 skimmers, 3 returns. Hayward 1HP pump, Hayward cartridge filter, Hayward chlorine feeder, Laars 250,000 BTU heater. Stenner pump with #2 tube for chlorine injection. Leslie branded Taylor test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Got my CYA under control whooooo!!!

Depending on your level of DIY, I would suggest a SWG first. Then a stenner pump. And last, a liquidator. All of these are talked about quite a bit around here, so you will have lots of info and people to offer advice.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Congrats! I know that feeling haha
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

4. Back To Top    #4

I thinking some type of stenner or similar pump. Pretty straight forward, Figure out how much I use a day, and figure out how much the pump puts out in say 1 hours and do the math for a timer. Since my chlorinator is still inline, I can use that as a injection point, just put it to max, drill a hole in top and add hose from stenner. I know about mixing tabs and liquid and its definetly empty.
    Location Charlotte NC. Pool is a IG vinyl liner, 18X36 lagoon approx. 20,000 gallons odd shaped pool with different depths. 2 skimmers, 3 returns. Hayward 1HP pump, Hayward cartridge filter, Hayward chlorine feeder, Laars 250,000 BTU heater. Stenner pump with #2 tube for chlorine injection. Leslie branded Taylor test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

If your CYA tube read between 50 and 60, you go with the higher number. So consider your CYA at 60 for dosing now

Great news about the leak fix!!
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

After Many Delays...The Stenner is up.... Heres my Stenner Install to give you something to go on...Good Luck!
    Location: Phx,Az. IG gunite Pool constructed 1993 14x28 Playpool 3.5'/5'/4' depth.. 11,400 Gallons Finish: Acrylic Plaster (Ultra Poz) Tiled waterline Pump: 3Hp Pentair IntelifloVS Filter: Pentair TR100 Sand 4.91 Fil. area 74 GPM...Barracuda suction side cleaner........