Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Closing Pool - How badly did I mess up?

1. Back To Top    #1

Exclamation Closing Pool - How badly did I mess up?

Hi! I LOVE the TFP method and used it religiously all summer... until about a month ago. I got lazy, left the solar cover on, added some chlorine now & then, and that's all. I just peeked under the cover & it has serious algae and who the heck knows where my chemical levels are.

The pool guy is coming tomorrow to close it. How big of a mess have a I created? Should I just backwash the filter & let him close it tomorrow? Or should I call them to cancel while I take some steps to clean it up? THANK YOU!

This is my first year with the pool and I won't make the same mistake again next year!
    Kelly
    ~~~~~~
    32x16 rectangular vinyl in-ground pool (21,000-23,000 gallons?) filled with well water. 24" Hayward sand filter & a Hayward super pump (unsure of model # or specifications). TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Closing Pool - How badly did I mess up?

I'd push the closing out a least a week (probably two) if possible and get the pool SLAM'd to clean.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Closing Pool - How badly did I mess up?

Ugh, that's what I was afraid of. Thank you so much for the advice!!!
    Kelly
    ~~~~~~
    32x16 rectangular vinyl in-ground pool (21,000-23,000 gallons?) filled with well water. 24" Hayward sand filter & a Hayward super pump (unsure of model # or specifications). TF-100 test kit.