Should I wait to plaster (Pebble Sheen) until next year?

Jun 28, 2015
Austin
Hi- We are at the ending phase of the pool build. Gunite was poured 3 weeks ago, coping and tiling are also completed. My question is should I wait to plaster until next year? We know we will not use the pool this year. I am also concerned about having to brush it constantly the first month and I don't think it can be done properly if not in the pool. Any cons with waiting? Will I have to water the gunite daily throughout fall and winter? I appreciate any advice on which direction to go. Thanks!

Your gunite shell should be ok but it depends on how wet your winters are and how high the water table is. An unfilled pool is like a boat, if the water table rises enough and if there is no hydrostatic relief, the shell can potential lift out of the ground. If you have a really wet winter, your gunite shell will fill up with a lot of water.

What does your PB want to do? Do you know how high your water table is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know my pool has been empty for forever in Austin. My PB took a plug out of the main drain so it can let water into the shell so it won't pop out of the ground. What that means is I have about a foot of really nasty water at the bottom of my pool shell.

@Joyful - I do not know what the water table is but I can ask the PB. I sent the PB an email this morning asking if waiting was a possibility.

@Ummgood- the nasty water is concern but I think I can deal with that. Looking at your pool post you would prefer the plaster be done as soon as possible.

I know my pool has been empty for forever in Austin. My PB took a plug out of the main drain so it can let water into the shell so it won't pop out of the ground. What that means is I have about a foot of really nasty water at the bottom of my pool shell.

In ours, the gunite company left 4 or 5 softball size holes in the shell. We, too, have about 8 inches or so of nasty water in the bottom. Well, after the recent storm it's all the way into the shallow end.

@Joyful - I do not know what the water table is but I can ask the PB. I sent the PB an email this morning asking if waiting was a possibility.

@Ummgood- the nasty water is concern but I think I can deal with that. Looking at your pool post you would prefer the plaster be done as soon as possible.

Actually I wanted it done as soon as possible but now I asked them to wait a couple weeks because they waited so long now it is overlapping with my business trips and surgery and I would prefer to be able to watch the pool get plastered in person.

I don't have answers but those are great questions! I also wonder about brushing mine when (when we get to that stage) during cold months...

Hmmm, so are we saying we need to be in the pool for brushing?
For some reason I was thinking I could use a pole and do it from outside. I hope that's the case since the pool will probably be done in February sometime
Maybe I need a wetsuit ��

Typically you can reach the entire surface of your plaster with a pole mounted brush.
The advantages of of doing it asap are:
- The chemistry will be more stable with the curing of the plaster.
- While you are getting used to treating your pool water over winter, everything happens slower than in summer.
- No surprises waiting for busy plaster companies, eating into swim season.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.