Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just finished SLAM, water is cloudy

1. Back To Top    #1

Just finished SLAM, water is cloudy

Hi All,

So I finished the SLAM on 10/24. Pool has looked great through the rain on the weekend. When the filter pump turned on his morning, I saw a brown cloud coming out of the jets for a few seconds and the pool changed colors before my eyes. The water is cloudy now

These are my FC and CC levels in the past three days:
    Date Time Sample Drops FC CC
    10/24/2015 720 10 ml 62 31 0
    10/25/2015 826 10 ml 42 21 0
    10/26/2015 1044 10 ml 33 16.5 0
    10/27/2015 834 10ml 31 15.5 0.5

Should I hope for the brown stuff to be left over dirt from the rock wash (last week) and rain and wait for it to settle down? Or should I start another SLAM?
    Many thanks!
    ~20,000 gallons, IG white plaster, Cartridge filter (make unknown), Filter Pump (Jandy Stealth Model # SHPM2.0), Probably over 10 years old, Spa, non-functional SWG (bad sensor), Taylor K-2600

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Just finished SLAM, water is cloudy

Give it a day of running the filter. If it doesn't clear up then you might need to SLaM
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

ok thanks
    ~20,000 gallons, IG white plaster, Cartridge filter (make unknown), Filter Pump (Jandy Stealth Model # SHPM2.0), Probably over 10 years old, Spa, non-functional SWG (bad sensor), Taylor K-2600

4. Back To Top    #4

There is no need to slam unless you fail the overnight chlorine loss test, or you have excessive CC's.
    Often time, leaves and other things that get blown into the pool will cause CC's. Anything that is organic can do it. If ever a doubt, if you need to slam, do the OCLT to confirm it after all leaves etc have been cleaned out.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

I ran the filter pump overnight and water is clear again! Also passed OCLT so all is good.
    Right not, FC is at 12.5. Should I start testing for the rest of the chemicals once FC goes under 10?
    Thanks!

6. Back To Top    #6

Congratulations! Yes you can do a complete battery of tests once you get your FC below 10. They probably are where they were before you started the SLAM, but I always feel better doing a complete battery.
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC