Closing pool... leaving it full?

bunsen

Aug 23, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Hi all, i have a question... i live in Canada and my pool builder (new build from last fall) says we dont need to drain the pool at all. He blew the lines out using a one way valve that lets water out but not back in. He put some foam blocks in the skimmer and thats it. He says its not necessary to drain the water as any excess water will just come out of the skimmer and onto my lawn. The reason they started doing this years ago was because the city frowns on salt water being dumped into city sewers.
I havent found any threads on this topic. Any thoughts or concerns? (btw i have a 16x32 vinyl inground)

Did they close the same way last year since it was built last fall or was there never any water in the pool until this summer?

If they are closing it and stand behind their work, meaning they'd be on the hook IN WRITING for any damage that occurs due to the closing method, let them have at it.

Bunsen, my pool does not get drained for close...just exact process you described, but with some antifreeze in the lines and a gizmo in the skimmer. I am in West Michigan, which gets a similar snow load as Ottawa ;)

In my area this practice is especially common for vinyl pools (no tile line that ice could break...better for there to be lots of water to hold liner in place come spring melt and higher water tables.)

That said, ask PB if they warrant the close.

thanks for the feedback. my biggest concern was with the water that will go overboard onto the decking and near my fence, but maybe im worrying a bit too much about this. I understand in other cities in ontario they are also not allowing for salt water pools to drain into city sewers either so this must be a fairly common practice.

^Well, THEY have success with it ;) I don't self-close because hubby wants nothing to do with our winter cover and I think suspects I'd botch the job solo...;)

I asked them again this year during close while spying (wanted to find out how much antifreeze they used...answer is two gallons) and they confirmed that in my liner pool they want as much water there as possible and dd not want the water dropped.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.