Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: question on TFP method

1. Back To Top    #1

question on TFP method

I've been using a floater for convience and now find the CYA level of pool as of today was 200. I'm going to be forced to drain some water out and refill. I'll be using bleach or liquid chlorine and hoping not to have to do this again. My question concerns the TFP method and how you carry it out if you go away for an extended period of time or even a few weeks. Do you throw a floater in just for that period and then go back to the TFP method when you return?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: question on TFP method

Welcome to TFP!

For a week you could use Trichlor tabs in a floating feeder. For longer than that you'd need a higher capacity inline chlorinator. Or you can have a neighbor or friend come over twice a week to add chlorine if you use a pool cover.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Nice to have you with us! Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

Welcome to TFP.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

ok I'll do that today. thanks

5. Back To Top    #5

You'll find that CYA drifts down with splash out and backwashing, and just slowly in general it drifts down. So if you're up at 50 when summer starts, it may get down to 35-40 within a few months. Then you raise the FC, throw some pucks in the floater for a week while you're gone, and you're back where you started. Since it's winter coming up, you could have down near 30 then go up from there. Really, anywhere from 30 to 60 isn't much different, once you get the FC level correct, according to the CYA/FC chart.
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir