Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: unlabeled valves

1. Back To Top    #1

unlabeled valves

(Inground Pool W/Liner)

Due to recent flooding, my liner came loose from the top on one side and part of the insulation came up with it. I need to drain enough water (leaving 12" in shallow end) so that I can fix it. I was going to learn how to drain using "waste" on my pool filter. After researching, I understand that I need to shut off the skimmer valve. (I only have one skimmer.) Nothing was labeled so I am not sure which one is the skimmer and which one is the main. I have attached a picture of what I have. What's the best method to find out which valve controls what? Thanks for any help!IMG_2059.jpgIMG_2060.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: unlabeled valves

Hi, welcome to TFP! Since you have a broken valve handle that is probably the one you need to shut off. Turn on your pump and remove the skimmer basket. Put your hand in enough to see if you feel any suction at the skimmer. If yes turn off the pump and turn the handle on the valve a quarter turn to the closed position and turn the pump back on. Did the suction at the skimmer change? If yes then that is the valve that controls flow to the skimmer. Leave the valve off and set the pump to waste and you should be able to pump out as much as you need. If shutting off that valve changed nothing then get a pair of pliers and gently turn the stem on the other valve. Test skimmer suction again. If the stem doesn't want to turn don't try to force it, just go ahead and replace it when you can.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! Worked great. I appreciate it!

4. Back To Top    #4

A label maker or Sharpie pen should be next- mark those suckers (cause I'd forget which was which in about 4 days time...)
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain