First time using TF-100

tckgj

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2014
Grand Junction, CO
Before we fill our new pool for the first time next week, I thought I would get comfortable with the test kit and pool math calculator using our freestanding hot tub with SWG. Here are my numbers

FC= 7
pH= 8.2
TA= 90
CYA= 0

We had been using test strips prior to getting the TF-100 and it says the chlorine is fine which it obviously is not. I will turn down the swg to get that number closer to 3. As for the other numbers, is the FC high enough that it could be affecting the pH reading? I read in another post that FC above 10 can do that but maybe 7 can too? Should I chase the pH or wait for the FC to come down first? Is CYA target number the same for hot tubs as it is for pools?

Sorry for all the questions. Thank you for your help

Tracy

Thank you for replying so quickly. I was able to get the pH back into range and I will check everyday to make sure it stays there. The strips were showing pH was ok so I hadn't been messing with it. Glad I have the accurate test now. It sounds like I need to stop using the swg and switch to dichlor until the CYA gets up to about 30, based on the above reference on balancing spas. Once the cya is up, I can switch back to the swg and keep the FC at the range that the CYA/chlorine chart shows as a target. If anything about this plan does not sound good, please let me know. Thanks again for all your help!!

I used the pool math calculator for our size hot tub and it says I need 1.1oz of cya to raise the level from 0-20. I added that amount to a large cup of water but it isn't dissolving right away. Should I go ahead and add it like it is or do I need to do something different?

- - - Updated - - -

I read the target for hot tubs is 20-30 but I thought I would start at 20 and see where we end up in a week as it is easier to raise CYA than lower it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.