Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First time using TF-100

1. Back To Top    #1

First time using TF-100

Before we fill our new pool for the first time next week, I thought I would get comfortable with the test kit and pool math calculator using our freestanding hot tub with SWG. Here are my numbers

FC= 7
    pH= 8.2
    TA= 90
    CYA= 0

We had been using test strips prior to getting the TF-100 and it says the chlorine is fine which it obviously is not. I will turn down the swg to get that number closer to 3. As for the other numbers, is the FC high enough that it could be affecting the pH reading? I read in another post that FC above 10 can do that but maybe 7 can too? Should I chase the pH or wait for the FC to come down first? Is CYA target number the same for hot tubs as it is for pools?

Sorry for all the questions. Thank you for your help

Tracy
    24,000 gal fiberglass IG pool w/ tanning shelf, Intelliflo VS pump, cartridge filter, Autopilot digital complete SWG, Pentair Easy Touch 8 automation, Raypak 400k btu heater, 3 color cascade bubblers, 1 brilliant wonders LED waterfall

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: First time using TF-100

This is a good read. Long, but well worth it. How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?)
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

SO much good stuff in one place! NICE!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Your pH is way off, and if you get your CYA up to 60 or so, then your FC of 7 is perfect.
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you for replying so quickly. I was able to get the pH back into range and I will check everyday to make sure it stays there. The strips were showing pH was ok so I hadn't been messing with it. Glad I have the accurate test now. It sounds like I need to stop using the swg and switch to dichlor until the CYA gets up to about 30, based on the above reference on balancing spas. Once the cya is up, I can switch back to the swg and keep the FC at the range that the CYA/chlorine chart shows as a target. If anything about this plan does not sound good, please let me know. Thanks again for all your help!!
    24,000 gal fiberglass IG pool w/ tanning shelf, Intelliflo VS pump, cartridge filter, Autopilot digital complete SWG, Pentair Easy Touch 8 automation, Raypak 400k btu heater, 3 color cascade bubblers, 1 brilliant wonders LED waterfall

6. Back To Top    #6

Keep an eye on CYA, it goes slowly down. Without CYA is not so good for cover and skin.
    Arctic Spa Klondike Legend SE
    AG / Filter Cardtrige 50m2/ TFP / borates / TF100
    478 gallon @ 99.5-103.1 F Depending on season
    Ozonator disconnected

7. Back To Top    #7

You can simply buy some CYA and add it. It will be fully dispersed in about a week.
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you. When you say the CYA will be fully dispersed in a week, do you mean it will take this long for the levels to come up so I should wait to retest?

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes, generally, it takes about a week for CYA to correctly register on the test.

10. Back To Top    #10

I used the pool math calculator for our size hot tub and it says I need 1.1oz of cya to raise the level from 0-20. I added that amount to a large cup of water but it isn't dissolving right away. Should I go ahead and add it like it is or do I need to do something different?

- - - Updated - - -

I read the target for hot tubs is 20-30 but I thought I would start at 20 and see where we end up in a week as it is easier to raise CYA than lower it.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

It can take a few hours to dissolve. That's one of the reasons it takes so long before it shows on the test.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks! Great Information!
    Laurie - Houston, TX 12,000 gallons, Rectangular Saltwater IG Pool, Pebble, Hayward pump installed by unknown 2011, ProLogic Automation and Chlorination/Aqua Logic Wireless Remote, Hayward Tiger Shark, Taylor K-2006 (on its way) DE filter Hayward.