Pool Equipment; Buy Online & Contract for Install?

Just curious what the thoughts are on this:

I'm going to have to replace my pool pump in the spring, and am considering replacing my sand filter with a Pentair QuadDE filter at the same time.

I'm wondering if it's possible to purchase the equipment online and have it installed by a pool professional, or if that's something very rare? I ask because the pool stores and pool companies would have a markup on the equipment (probably around 30% or more) if the equipment is purchased from them, plus charge an installation fee.

I've not contacted the local companies I've used in the past with this question, as I'm not sure if it's commonplace or very rare? Would most pool companies refuse to install equipment not purchased from them?

Thought I'd throw this out here for comments...

My husband installed all of our equipment with no problems. It is a very DIY project. If you do not want to DIY it you can call just about any pool installer to see how much they will charge. They KNOW you can get it cheaper on line and IF they don't want to install it so sad for them as they get NOT money!

Kim

As a professional I get this question alot, and while im fine with installing equipment you have purchased, I am unable to service the manufacturers warranty, AND YES IT HAPPENS! honestly Ive sold my equipment at cost for years and am not afraid to ask for what I think a job is worth, many service men lean this way, but when we want to buy your equipment for you, we want to service you long term and hold the manufacturers feet to the fire if you need us to, after all we the reps direct line in our smart phones unlike amazon.

As a professional I get this question alot, and while im fine with installing equipment you have purchased, I am unable to service the manufacturers warranty, AND YES IT HAPPENS! honestly Ive sold my equipment at cost for years and am not afraid to ask for what I think a job is worth, many service men lean this way, but when we want to buy your equipment for you, we want to service you long term and hold the manufacturers feet to the fire if you need us to, after all we the reps direct line in our smart phones unlike amazon.

So if I look at the Pentair website, I see the warranty lengths are different for equipment not installed by a pool professional.

Does this mean if the equipment isn't PURCHASED (in addition to installed) from a pool professional the shorter warranty would be in effect?

And, again...I'm not trying to create any controversy here. But a Pentair Intelliflo pump costs about $1000 online, and I've been quoted $1500 for the same pump (without the installation charge, which would be extra) at Leslie's. Although I didn't ask about it, I'm assuming I'd see a similar difference with the QuadDE filter I'm considering.

The problem I would see with doing work like this is the consumer is looking for cheap.
If you're looking to go cheap, install it yourself.
If you have someone install it for cheap, you'll likely get an inexperienced, non-licensed individual.

Why no warranty? Who wants to work for free? Why would a tech drive back to your home, file the paperwork, ship out the old motor, receive the new one, drive back out to your home and install it again without having made any markup fee.

I guess one would have to ask themselves to consider what they do for a living. Would they offer to work for a client that wishes to short cut the process, and then expect a full guarantee?

If you expect a professional job, expect a professional's fee.

I once saw a sign in an auto repair shop:

Pic of a fellow handing the waitress at a diner two eggs and a slice of ham.
Text: "You wouldn't do this. Why would you ask us to install parts you brought?"

Folks in HVAC are getting this all the time. I would not expect pool pros to be different.
Yes, Amazon/Ebay/poolstuffworldonlinecheap can beat their price.

If you want their service (and back-up), pay their price. Do you work free? Why should they?

And yes, warranty is a huge issue - the install will determine the service life of many, many things - and once the piece leaves the controlled circuit of factory-to-factory-authorized rep, all bets are off.

There is another active thread about a recurring problem. From the pics, I'm guessing this was a (screwed-up royally) DIY job by a previous owner.

That is one way to deal with 'well, that didn't work out quite as well as I thought it would' - sell it to the next sucker.

There are people whose work I will trust with my life. I am not one of them, when it comes to several fields - I pay the professional for her/his expertise.

You want to buy it? Fine - you install it.
Oh? You want ME to install it?

If you came to me with that proposition, I would count up my time, add in the lost mark-up, and add 10% 'fee for the insult'. And you STILL wouldn't get factory warranty. I would, however warranty my work. But I'll bet the problem will always be the part, not the work.

Just so you know, I bought a Pentair Intelliflow 011018 online for about $875 with a $100 rebate. I contacted Pentair about their requirement that the pump be "professionally installed" to get the full warranty and rebate. I asked if they had a list of approved installers...NO. They just said that I needed to supply the receipt for installation when registering the warranty and in order to qualify for the rebate. From what I understood a pool service, plumber, electrician or who knows else, could supply that receipt. I would have done the install, but wanted the warranty(and rebate), so for $200 I had a local pool service do it. The only problem is, I have a warranty but if I have a problem I can't just call my local pool service, I've got to contact Pentair directly and hope for the best.

Still, I did get the pump (installation included) for a total of $975, with a full warranty.

The only problem is, I have a warranty but if I have a problem I can't just call my local pool service, I've got to contact Pentair directly and hope for the best.

Still, I did get the pump... with a full warranty.

Doesn't sound like a "full warranty" to me.

Nobody said you can't roll the dice. I would just be wary of cheap labor.

Well, Pentair provides a three year warranty, but I would have to deal with them direct, rather than through a pool service company. That said, when I called A&A directly about a problem with my ten year old in floor system, they arranged for someone to come out and replace all the cleaning heads and gear pack, no charge. So there are some manufacturers that you can just call directly and get good service.

The Pentair warranty and rebate was an issue for me too when I bought my pump. My opinion is that Pentair is simply trying to financially protect their service people. My previous pump, installed before I moved in, was "professionally" installed and was a complete hack job. As an example, the installer failed to use any unions on the old pump (they threaded the PVC pipe and screwed it directly into the pump) and it had to be cut out of the system. This was likely done on purpose to discourage any DIY types. What constitutes a "pool professional" for Pentair varies from 30 years of serious meticulous care, knowledge, and experience to a guy who just bought some bleach, a magnetic sign, and a worn out Ford ranger pickup. The problem is that Pentair doesn't care which guy installs your pump as long as it isn't you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.