Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Peeling paint in pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Peeling paint in pool

I'm new to the board and of course I have a problem. Paint is peeling off my pool above the water line where it was closed this summer--I'm assuming that it is due to the quickie paint job the previous owner slapped on before we purchased the house last July. The pool is probably 25 years old, concrete and painted with epoxy paint. What peels off is large sheets above the water line--there is nice clean paint underneath nothing is exposed. I was going to open it this weekend but wanted some info about how to progress before I fill it up and get things started...or am I going to have to drain it and repaint the entire pool?

I used to have a ......40,000 gal pool, concrete, Hayward SuperPump 1.5 hp, 325 lb. sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Peeling paint in pool

Welcome to TFP!

A lot depends on how widespread the problem is. If it is limited to areas above the water line and there is an intact layer of paint below the flaking paint, as you say, then all you really need to do is to remove the paint flecks so as few of them get in the pool as possible.

If, on the other hand, further inspection shows that the problem is also occurring below the water line or the lower paint layer turns out to not be intact everywhere, then you will probably need to drain and refinish the entire surface.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School