Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA Went Up! How???

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA Went Up! How???

Hello Everyone,

About 1.5-2 months ago, I dropped my CYA to 70 from about 110. There were heavy rains for three days straight over here, and I tested my water yesterday, expecting to see a lower CYA, but no, my CYA is now 100. I am a little lost about how the CYA went up. Bad testing? The weather was cloudy, so did not test it in sunlight. But i dont think that is the case. My pool hasn't seen a chlorine tab in 4 months now. I only use bleach.
    Purex Titron FNS DE Filter 25000 gallons approx.
    Century A.O. Smith B855 56Y 2HP Motor. 40x25 (approx). Plaster surface.
    TFT-100 Test Kit.
    Rainbow Lifeguard 320.
    DX5+S Cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: CYA Went Up! How???

Quote Originally Posted by hellstorm2004 View Post
    Hello Everyone,

About 1.5-2 months ago, I dropped my CYA to 70 from about 110. There were heavy rains for three days straight over here, and I tested my water yesterday, expecting to see a lower CYA, but no, my CYA is now 100. I am a little lost about how the CYA went up. Bad testing? The weather was cloudy, so did not test it in sunlight. But i dont think that is the case. My pool hasn't seen a chlorine tab in 4 months now. I only use bleach.
    If you have not used any form of stabilized chlorine (trichlor tablets, dichlor granular, etc) the only other cause would be inconsistent testing.

If it was cloudy out that could make the dot seem to disappear sooner, giving a false higher reading.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

OK. Will do a repeat test when the sun shows its face. Thanks!
    TFT-100 Test Kit.
    Rainbow Lifeguard 320.
    DX5+S Cleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

If you tested after the rains you had but did not wait for the water to circulate, then you'd measure an artificially lower (diluted) CYA reading before the rain water completely mixed with the pool water below it.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

Yup. Tested it today. CYA is 60 now!! With so much rain, i thought it would drop a a little more! Bad performance by Zeus!!

But at least its a drop.

I had one more question, dont want to start a fresh thread for it, I am going on a long vacation, 4 weeks to be exact, should i just raise my FC to shock levels before i go? My FC loss is about 3ppm a week, I think it should reach normal levels by the time i get back. I dont want to go through another SLAM!
    TFT-100 Test Kit.
    Rainbow Lifeguard 320.
    DX5+S Cleaner.

6. Back To Top    #6

Taking your FC up to SLAM/Shock level just prior to leaving is a good idea. Sounds like your water temp is dropping to only go through 3 ppm per week. Still, I'm not so sure that will hold you over for 4 weeks though. If you don't have someone available who can add a little bleach to your pool every few days, you may have to use a floater or in-line chlorinator with a tab or two while you're gone. Remember you can always plug-in your numbers on the Poolmath calculator (link below). At the very bottom of the calculator you can experiment to see what the effects will be of adding 1 or 2 8-oz pucks to your water (i.e. FC and CYA). You've done great to get that CYA down, but based on your time away and average FC loss per day you may have no choice but to use a tab or two to maintain some consistent sanitation. If you do, it's not the worse thing to happen and won't kill your CYA level with just 1 or 2 tabs. You'll still be in a good manageable range (i.e. 70-ish).
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

When i leave the pool for an extended period of time I throw some tabs in a floater. The CYA gain isn't going to be enough to impact anything.
    12600 gallons, 24 foot round above ground
    Hayward Sand filter, Hayward Powerflo 1.5 hp Single Speed pump

8. Back To Top    #8

My main concern are the leaves that keep dropping. Will fall going on, my pool gets loaded with leaves and all sort of debris. Living next to a park definitely does not help!

I would look at floaters and see what i can find. So would you say FC at shock levels and a floater or FC at normal levels and a floater?
    TFT-100 Test Kit.
    Rainbow Lifeguard 320.
    DX5+S Cleaner.

9. Back To Top    #9

I am also thinking of raising my borate levels to something around 35-40. That should be a little bit helpful. I do have an inline chlorinator. I might have to use that in medium settings.
    TFT-100 Test Kit.
    Rainbow Lifeguard 320.
    DX5+S Cleaner.

10. Back To Top    #10

I would bump FC up to SLAM level just before you leave, and also put a floater in the water OR use your in-line chlorinator. Either should be fine with a couple tablets.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

11. Back To Top    #11

Ok! Thanks!
    TFT-100 Test Kit.
    Rainbow Lifeguard 320.
    DX5+S Cleaner.

12. Back To Top    #12

How much acid do you use per month? PH rising too high would also be a consideration.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.