CYA Went Up! How???

Hello Everyone,

About 1.5-2 months ago, I dropped my CYA to 70 from about 110. There were heavy rains for three days straight over here, and I tested my water yesterday, expecting to see a lower CYA, but no, my CYA is now 100. I am a little lost about how the CYA went up. Bad testing? The weather was cloudy, so did not test it in sunlight. But i dont think that is the case. My pool hasn't seen a chlorine tab in 4 months now. I only use bleach.

Hello Everyone,

About 1.5-2 months ago, I dropped my CYA to 70 from about 110. There were heavy rains for three days straight over here, and I tested my water yesterday, expecting to see a lower CYA, but no, my CYA is now 100. I am a little lost about how the CYA went up. Bad testing? The weather was cloudy, so did not test it in sunlight. But i dont think that is the case. My pool hasn't seen a chlorine tab in 4 months now. I only use bleach.
If you have not used any form of stabilized chlorine (trichlor tablets, dichlor granular, etc) the only other cause would be inconsistent testing.

If it was cloudy out that could make the dot seem to disappear sooner, giving a false higher reading.

Dom

Yup. Tested it today. CYA is 60 now!! With so much rain, i thought it would drop a a little more! Bad performance by Zeus!! :farao:

But at least its a drop.

I had one more question, dont want to start a fresh thread for it, I am going on a long vacation, 4 weeks to be exact, should i just raise my FC to shock levels before i go? My FC loss is about 3ppm a week, I think it should reach normal levels by the time i get back. I dont want to go through another SLAM! :(

Taking your FC up to SLAM/Shock level just prior to leaving is a good idea. Sounds like your water temp is dropping to only go through 3 ppm per week. :goodjob: Still, I'm not so sure that will hold you over for 4 weeks though. If you don't have someone available who can add a little bleach to your pool every few days, you may have to use a floater or in-line chlorinator with a tab or two while you're gone. Remember you can always plug-in your numbers on the Poolmath calculator (link below). At the very bottom of the calculator you can experiment to see what the effects will be of adding 1 or 2 8-oz pucks to your water (i.e. FC and CYA). You've done great to get that CYA down, but based on your time away and average FC loss per day you may have no choice but to use a tab or two to maintain some consistent sanitation. If you do, it's not the worse thing to happen and won't kill your CYA level with just 1 or 2 tabs. You'll still be in a good manageable range (i.e. 70-ish).

My main concern are the leaves that keep dropping. Will fall going on, my pool gets loaded with leaves and all sort of debris. Living next to a park definitely does not help! :(

I would look at floaters and see what i can find. So would you say FC at shock levels and a floater or FC at normal levels and a floater?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.