Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: what is causing this green stain in grout ?

1. Back To Top    #1

what is causing this green stain in grout ?

IMG_0204.jpg

hi can anyone give me some guidance about what is causing this greenish - blueish staining on the grout ,,,, this is a saltwater pool about a year old ,,,, the grout is most likely white cement ,,,, i believe all the basic chemistry is good ,,,, this is a customers pool of mine i have a small pool company in costa rica but i have never seen this happen before and looking for answers ,,,, it started about 2 months ago and is getting worse and it is appearing all over pool ,,, brusing with a steel brush didn't help and applying granular chlorine turned it black ,,,, any guidance would be much appreciated

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: what is causing this green stain in grout ?

Welcome to the forum.

Looks like possible copper staining. Have you or the customer used any copper based algaecide?

Do you have a way to check the water for metals content?

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: what is causing this green stain in grout ?

Quote Originally Posted by domct203 View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

Looks like possible copper staining. Have you or the customer used any copper based algaecide?

Do you have a way to check the water for metals content?

Dom
    no ,,,, but since this house is in the mountains and gets its water from a natural source ,,,, it may have some minerals ,,,, so i will get a test kit for copper ,,,,, thank you for that suggestion