Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stain Problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Stain Problem

Hi All,

I have a plaster pool and have several stains primarily in the deep end and closer to edge of pool. The stains are about 1 to 2 inches in diameter and they are yellow green colour. They are also rough when you touch them and they feel like they are attached to the pool surface. I have tried scraping off but they are too hard.
    I have a few trees close to pool and leaves always fall in.
    My water is usually well balanced. I use a Taylors K2006 kit to test water and my numbers are CH=3.5 , PH=7.3 , TA=70, CA=600, CYA=20. I have an automated chlorinated and PH generally is around 7.4.
    Any ideas on how to remove these stains.
    Pool size (50,000 lt /13000 gal), Concrete Plaster 2 years old
    Automatic SWG (Zodiac Pro) for chlorine and acid, Solar heated
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    'burbs of Augusta, Georgia

Re: Stain Problem

To help you determine if the stain is organic or metal: take some vitamin C tablets and hold it against the stain. If it lightens it, it most likely is metal. Take a chlorine puck (avail individually at many pool stores) and hold it against the stain. If it lightens it it most likely is organic.

Treatment for metal stains can mean as much as an AA treatment and/or metal sequestrants. Organic stains require chlorine.

Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains
    12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub. Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain
    CLICK HERE to Become a Supporter