Leaves and Nuts driving me nuts

Merda

Jun 16, 2015
Dallas, Tx
I know I shouldn't have a pool under a tree but right now neither the tree nor the pool are going anywhere. Because of my ancient pecan tree the water in my pool looks like a brownish swamp. I'm wondering, since it's out of season, what to do to it in order to have it winterized. Sure don't want to put the pool cover on like it is.

One question: Is the stain from decomposing leaves a form of algae and how do I treat it.

Second question: someone told my wife there is a chemical you can put it in the water that will last over the winter with the cover on and keep everything clean.

Thanks in advance I'm a total newbie. First year with an above ground pool.

Welcome to TFP :wave: We are so glad that you dropped by.

The answer to the brown question is bleach. Leaves and other stuff from trees, contain tannins. These make the water brown and also leave brown spots on the pool itself. Ask me how I know :) If I find that some have gotten in and I haven't removed them quick enough, I just add some extra ppms of chlorine, using plain bleach, to clear it up.

For closing the pool for winter see this thread: Pool School - Closing (Winterizing) Your Above Ground Pool

Feel free to ask for any details that you need. I tend to let folks wander around the site, getting used to how we do things, before I start throwing stuff at them. There will probably be some other folks along that will post links and suggestions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.