Fall Algae AGAIN!!!! WTH

Aug 12, 2013
South Louisiana
This is my second winter with an AGP. We have the Confer entry steps. All summer things have been great with algae prevention. Just like last year, my pool temp has dropped, chlorine consumption is getting less each week, but for some reason I have algae on the steps! My pump is running 8 hours per day and I'm loosing .5 to 1 ppm of FC per day right now, depending on cloud cover. I test every other day, but add FC daily and NEVER drop below 6 ppm (with the minimum being 5 ppm for my CYA level). I'm going to have to pull them in order to clean any algae underneath that I can't access from above the water. Any idea why this all of the sudden happens to me in the fall, when I can make it through brutal summers without a speck of algae?

For those who are curious my levels are as follows:

FC- 8
CYA- 70 (because I get 13.5 hours of sun per day in the summer and it's the level that works best for me in the summer)
pH-7.7 (will lower in the next few days)
TA- 110
CH- don't bother bc I have a AGP with a vinyl liner

Circulation. In the summer there are people in the pool. They move the water around quite a bit. Also, using the stairs to get in and out. Now that the pool isn't being used, the water isn't being circulated enough around the stairs to get the chlorine where it needs to be.

Glad to know I'm not losing my mind, or at least as it relates to pool care!!! I guess the best thing to do is pull 'em, clean 'em, and put 'em away until spring. Thanks for the info.

TX Slash, thanks. I find myself looking at other posts and asking questions AND my situation just did not make sense to me.

Great site. Thanks again for the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.