Ultimate pool liner leak - repair now or let drain over winter?

Jun 19, 2012
We've developed a leak somewhere in the liner of our above ground pool. It's definitely not in the plumbing. I suspect there's a small tear in the floor of the liner, where the vacuum had gotten stuck over the summer. We didn't really notice the leak until we stopped using the pool and have been watching the water level consistently drop.

Problem: It's in NY. It's 40 F. I really don't want to get in that pool to find this leak now. Any issues letting this go over the winter, and probably have the pool completely drain? I had read somewhere that you shouldn't let an above ground pool sit empty, but I'm not sure why.

Thanks for any help.

If you have a good idea where the leak is you may be able to drop a tarp on the hole and cover it with a few bricks, then patch it properly when the weather warms up. The problem with having the pool empty is that the water provides the structural integrity of the pool. If this is a standard ridged wall above ground pool it can blow over in heavy winds or be crushed by heavy snow load on a covered empty pool. If you have an Intex style soft sided pool you can just take it down for the winter.

You can always let it leak down until it stops, since that will show you the level of the leak, however if the leak is in the floor as you suspect you could get in there when the water is below waist level and try to patch it, then refill the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.