Dead mouse in pool

Aug 1, 2015
Lexington NC
Okay, I just did a forum search and all threads were to old to reply so I'll start a new one.
Just came out here to pool and found dead mouse floating in pool, eeww!:pukel:
Ive had live and dead frogs, bugs etc. in pool but this will be the first mammal floater I've seen!

Mouse was pretty stiff with water now at 58, mouse might of just froze. Anyway, I just added chlorine yesterday, brought chlorine up to 5 with cya @50 and mouse couldn't have been in there more than 12 hours so I think I should be ok for now as we arent swimming this time of year anyway, any thoughts?

Steve

Steve, no problem. We've seen much worse (larger) animals. You should be just fine with an elevated chlorine level and the mouse not being in the water that long. If it had been in there longer, or the animal was larger, I would recommend going up to SLAM level FC for 24 hours or so. But you should be just fine. If you or the family are still concerned, raising the FC closer to SLAM level for a day won't hurt anything. Next, make sure to install a sign that say, "No mice allowed!" :)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and Steve, remember ... the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart shows your target FC at 6 for any given day. SLAM FC level is 20 based on your CYA (50), so always watch that FC to make sure it doesn't drop too low on you.

In some parts of the country we call that dinner ;)

No worries dude! I had two dead ground squirrels, a dead bird and several frogs (dead and alive and two trying to procreate) in my pool this season. Each time I just elevated the chlorine to 10ppm, did an OCLT and moved on. Water was perfect all season long.

This will happen in the cold season as the critters go looking for food and water. It's just part of owning a pool.

Look up "moose in pool" or "raccoon in skimmer" on YouTube and be thankful you just had a mouse :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on your first mouse! My father gets them quite often, along with nearly daily toads during parts of the summer. Makes me a little glad to have an AGP. The rule I use is that if the carcass is still intact then I don't even adjust anything more than normal. If the body is opened for any reason (was in too long, dropped in by another animal, etc) then I bring things to SLAM level and don't swim for the day, just as a precaution.

This is for any sized animal too. We have seen some sizable ones on here, including some that got in under the winter cover and... Well, it was not a pleasant Spring opening experience for those owners but they all got it worked out.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk

Steve, no problem. We've seen much worse (larger) animals. You should be just fine with an elevated chlorine level and the mouse not being in the water that long. If it had been in there longer, or the animal was larger, I would recommend going up to SLAM level FC for 24 hours or so. But you should be just fine. If you or the family are still concerned, raising the FC closer to SLAM level for a day won't hurt anything. Next, make sure to install a sign that say, "No mice allowed!" :)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and Steve, remember ... the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart shows your target FC at 6 for any given day. SLAM FC level is 20 based on your CYA (50), so always watch that FC to make sure it doesn't drop too low on you.

Thanks for the info Pat

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.