Running pump during winter

Aug 20, 2015
ca
This is my first winter with a pool. It is an inground approximately 22,000 gallons. I recently converted to a pentair v/s pump. While I don't expect to be swimming, I also do not plan on covering my pool during the winter. Are there any suggestions as to running the pool more or less during this season?

thanks, steve

More often than not the filter needs are lowered during the winter and can be decreased according to how much needs to skimmed into the filter, or in the case of a salt water generator your chlorine needs will dictate the pump run time. As the water cools the chlorine needs also decrease, so your tests will show if your chlorine is higher than needed and you can cut the hours back. Some folks get by fine with as little as 3-4 hours a day in the winter.

+1, to all of that. I would start out running your pump a few hours a day at 1000 rpm or so and see how your pool acts. Or maybe an hour or two in am and again in pm. 1100 rpm is our sweet spot for good skimming action and enough water flow for the SWG (which doesn't work in cold water below 60 or so). I usually test FC once a week and add bleach as needed. I normally keep my FC at 10 in winter so I have a buffer if it gets too cold or I get lazy but I can still test PH.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.