Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: shed some light on equipment choices please?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question shed some light on equipment choices please?

Hi there!

This is my first post but I've been reading here for about the past month trying to learn all that I can to get a lovely pool in the ground at our house - rectangle 18x36 gunite. It definitely isn't just a matter of digging a hole, filling it with water and jumping in.
    This is all new to me so please excuse me if I'm missing something obvious. I'm really trying to do my due diligence and have gotten down to the following list of equipment (glad I avoided the Nature 2 Fusion Soft thanks to this forum):

Jandy aqua purr
    Jandy phpm pump 1.5 hp
    Jandy de filter v 48
    Aqua cal 155 a Heat Pump
    Polaris Tr 35 p

How does this all look to you all? Any better choices or am I missing an important thing? Any options/help are really appreciated. Thank you! I'm glad I found this site. It has been so helpful!

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: shed some light on equipment choices please?

Welcome

What depths are you thinking?
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

I would go with the DE60
    33x19, 3'4"-5'6", 7ft spa, baja reef, 14'x9', 18" deep, 10,668 Gal. Quartzite coping, Stonescape Tropics Blue mini-pebble, abalone & glass beads. Jandy Equip.(JXi heater, 2.7HPVS pump, PLC1400 SWG, CV580 filter, Aqualink, LEDs)
    TF-100, Doheny Discovery robot.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. We're thinking depths of 3.5-6'

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP!

Be sure to get the 2 speed version of the pump. Running it on low will be plenty of water flow for normal filtration, etc. 2 speed pumps generally move half the water using a quarter of the electricity.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Appreciate it. Thanks!

7. Back To Top    #7

agree with going for 2 speed pump at a minimum.
    Get as big of a filter as you can afford. When it comes to filters, the bigger they are the better. less time between cleanings, and the bigger the filter, the lower the pressure in the filter will be, which is a good thing.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

8. Back To Top    #8

Okay. I switched to the DE60 for no additional cost and a variable speed pump - by Jandy - for an extra 500 (after an electric company rebate).

I wonder if heat pumps come in different speeds.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Don't forget to add a surge protector if you are going to go with a VS pump. They have electronics in them that don't like spikes.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

10. Back To Top    #10

There is a new Jandy, 2.7 hp VS pump, I would look at that one, we got it for our build.
    33x19, 3'4"-5'6", 7ft spa, baja reef, 14'x9', 18" deep, 10,668 Gal. Quartzite coping, Stonescape Tropics Blue mini-pebble, abalone & glass beads. Jandy Equip.(JXi heater, 2.7HPVS pump, PLC1400 SWG, CV580 filter, Aqualink, LEDs)
    TF-100, Doheny Discovery robot.