Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I close with a CYA of 90?

1. Back To Top    #1

Exclamation Can I close with a CYA of 90?

New pool owner here, first time closing by myself. You guys have been great and I bought the kit early summer and really have had a trouble-free pool all summer! It stays clear, and I've added baking soda and used the tri-chlor tabs all summer - and that was it.

Now as I am closing, my CYA is suddenly high. I've read all about that the only solution to lowering the CYA is to dump and re-fill. Have done that twice, but obviously not enough, as my CYA remains at 90.

Here are my readings yesterday and today: PH 7.6-7.7, FC 11, CC 0, TA 100 and CYA 90.

What's the risk of closing at those levels? I must close in next two days as it's going to start raining and get very cold.

THANKS for all your help.
    29,000 gal inground, vinyl, Heyward sand filter/heavy duty solid safety cover with pump, in the beautiful Western North Carolina foothills

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can I close with a CYA of 90?

Having high CYA over the winter is no problem. As long as the water is below 60 close away. If you have a mesh cover rain over the winter will help reduce the CYA.

Now, during the winter you want to to read through Pool School so you understand why you don't want to feed your pool a diet of trichlor tabs.

Welcome to TFP!
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you Tim!! I just started reading those as I was freaking out about the high CYA. . I'll do better next year!!
    29,000 gal inground, vinyl, Heyward sand filter/heavy duty solid safety cover with pump, in the beautiful Western North Carolina foothills

4. Back To Top    #4

In case you don't have it handy, here is the page to Pool School - Closing an In Ground Pool. When you raise your FC level as noted on the instructions, make sure you use regular liquid bleach (generic is fine) to raise your FC level up to 35 as noted on the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart for your high CYA. Good luck!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!