Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Non-Chlorine Oxidizing Shock for Spa

1. Back To Top    #1

Non-Chlorine Oxidizing Shock for Spa

The precise product am using is OXY-SPA from Spa-Depot, Non-Chlorine Oxidizing Shock; 42.8% Potassium Peroxymonosulfate, 57.2% Inert Ingredients, 4.3% Active Oxygen.

It is my understanding this product is not a sanitizer and therefore should not raise my free chlorine?

Can you help me understand why my total chlorine jumped 5ppm after adding this product and running pumps for 20-min.

I am confused that this is increasing my combined chlorine rather than decreasing.

Thank you,
    H2X 19' Trainer Deep SwimSpa, Model 1270. ECO PUR water filter system. 231" X 94" X 60". SwimSpa buried 32" deep with decking/patio built around unit. Spa side capacity = 225 gallons, Swim side capacity = 2045 for a total capacity of 2270 gallons. Ozone system, 4 pumps, 48 jets, LED lights, Aquavibe sound system w/sub woofer. T-100 TFTestKit.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Grand Rapids, MI

Re: Non-Chlorine Oxidizing Shock for Spa

Hi there. I think its just causing false readings...the MPS in that product will cause a false reading on your cc read, I am given to believe.
    I just use beach/chlorine to oxidize after very soak...7 ppm per person per hour is the recommended rate.

Some prefer MPS...your call...just don't believe te cc part of your tests if you continue to use
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

3. Back To Top    #3

San Rafael, CA USA

Re: Non-Chlorine Oxidizing Shock for Spa

If you have a FAS-DPD chlorine test like the ones we recommend (the TFTestkits TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006), then you can get the Taylor K-2042 to distinguish between MPS and real CC.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"