More Reliable - Rubber Plugs or Threaded Return Plugs?

zamazing

Jul 18, 2015
Bergen County, NJ
Which is more reliable for return lines and skimmer lines? Rubber Plugs or Threaded Return plugs with o-rings?
Rubber%20Plug.jpg
Threaded%20Return%20Line%20Plug.jpg

The threaded caps, at least for me had small air leaks around the return jets. I did not put any Teflon tape around them and they were leaking very small air bubbles. After discussing this with the company where they were purchased, it appears that the threaded ones are designed for above ground pools. The threaded ones work great in the skimmers as the basket is flush, not like the return housing. You may have better luck. Some other members have felt the same way about the threaded ones that they leaked.

I like the black rubber plugs as they create a nice tight seal. They tuck in nicely and stick out about 1/8". I also use the black ones for the pump basket - Both Suction and Return side as extra insurance. If the Jandy Valve from the main seal were to leak a little air, this could cause problems. The black plugs are added insurance.

I use the threaded plugs in my returns as I don't really care much if they leak because I drain below the returns. I use the rubber expandable plugs in my skimmers because I don't want them to leak. Both the fittings are internal threads and the rubber plugs seal MUCH better and easier than the threaded plugs with o-rings. The threaded plugs might work OK in my skimmer fittings because the skimmer is sound (has no cracking) but most of my returns have cracks in the flange that covers the liner so even if the o-rings seal well, there is still a crack below the o-ring to allow air or water in and out. So if I were to not drain below the returns, I'd use rubber expandable plugs.

Thanks for all the feedback. I plan to use the threaded plugs in the Spa. I will be draining the spa completely so the threaded plugs should never see any water. On the pool side, I'm going to play it safe and use the rubber expandable plugs in the skimmer and return lines. Even though I plan on draining below the returns, I have a porous safety winter cover and we get enough rain and snow around here for the water level to go back above the returns, so I'm not comfortable risking a frozen line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.