Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New member, in the industry...

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

New member, in the industry...

Hi all, I've been a certified pool and spa operator for over 3 years now. No worries, I'm not looking for more work, I'm full up, so I'm not selling anything!

Mainly joined because I keep finding this forum in searches I've done for whatever problem I'm facing in the pool industry that day. I learned a long time ago that if I want know how to do something right, use the internet and find like-minded folk working on the same problem. Most answers come easily to me this way, in all walks of life.

I prefer the mechanical side of pools and spas. I can swap out a pump seal in about 20 minutes, depending on the make and model of the pump. Motor swaps, also, are cakewalks. I'm currently honing my RayPak gas-fired heater troubleshooting skills, and I don't even mind busting down a filter and spraying down/replacing grids, cartridges, manifolds, etc...

Pool chemistry came fairly easy to me, as did fluid dynamics. I won't call them my strong suits, but I know how to balance a pool or spa, and I can setup a pool's jets to optimize skimmers, provided there's sufficient flow.

Anyhow, I'm forum babbling. I basically signed up so I can more easily do searches here, and even possibly throw in my $.02 on a problem someone might have. Thanks for having me!

/R00

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New member, in the industry...

Welcome to TFP!!

We always have our share of equipment questions so we welcome your participation.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure your experience will be valuable to other members.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Right on, always good to have someone with mechanical/heater experience.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome aboard

Hopefully you've spent some time perusing through PoolSchool and learning all about the TFPC Method of pool care. It sounds like you've been lurking around for a while so I'm sure you're familiar enough with how we do things here. Definitely post any questions you might have and we'll be happy to field them. And, as you said, add your $0.02 anytime you read a post and can help a fellow TFP'er out!

Cheers,
    Matt

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and if you could, please add details into your signature. You said you do pool & spa service but did not say if you actually own one yourself? If not, that's ok, just add some personal details to the signature. Is it San Martin, California?? (City & State info helps).
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I do not own a pool. I don't enjoy throwing money into a hole in the ground.

San Martin, CA is correct, but I service the entire SF Bay Area.

7. Back To Top    #7

Since you've taken the CPO course, you may be interested in the thread Certified Pool Operator (CPO) training -- What is not taught.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"