Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Using a slurry around a fiberglass Leisure pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Using a slurry around a fiberglass Leisure pool

I am having a Leisure fiberglass pool installed shortly. It will be a Riviera 30' x 15' pool. The contractor wants to use a slurry as backfill and I'm wondering if this is a good idea.
    I am in the process of having a Leisure "Riviera" pool installed. It will be 30' x 15' with a depth of 5'8".

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Using a slurry around a fiberglass Leisure pool

I'm not sure what this "slurry" contains but my fiberglass pool was backfilled with crushed stone.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

A slurry is generally a term for CLSM - controlled low strength material, which is a form of concrete. These materials flow like water so it will fill all the voids, cracks and crevices below the pool without having to compact as you would stone. Additionally, it has a low compressive strength - like 50-100 psi whereas typical concrete is around 3,000 psi strength. With this low strength it can be easily chipped out or removed if necessary, say a plumbing issue. Think of it as a liquid sand mix that will bond together once cured. It's typically used to backfill an excavation when you want as little settling as possible and I would think it would be a better backfill material than crushed stone because of the difficulty compacting the stone in tight places in and under the pool.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks PT. That's very good to know.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the valuable information. Greatly appreciated
    I am in the process of having a Leisure "Riviera" pool installed. It will be 30' x 15' with a depth of 5'8".

6. Back To Top    #6

Gravel was used during my install also.

I'd have them check the installation manual for your pool. Some manufacturers will void their warranty if what they specify isn't used...

12,000 gallon Blue Hawaiian 'Hamilton' fiberglass IG 15x34 freeform, Pebble Beach finish, Pentair Clean & Clear 100 filter cartridge, Pentair SuperFlo 1.5HP pump, Stenner pump, Raypak 266k heater
    8/2015 pool build photos TFT-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Backfill can be either "p" gravel or a slurry..the important part is that the pool bottom has no hollow spots under it - the bottom of the pool must touch the ground under it totally. Another thing to consider is a main drain assembly ( the pool doesn't come with one) because with a main drain assembly a hydrostatic valve can be installed to allow ground water into the pool..reducing the risk of a pool "floating" because of severe ground water pressure.