Today's chemistry per TF-100
CSI - neg 0.45
Temp - 74 degrees
I'm preparing to treat pool for iron stains using a Stain Eliminator Kit from Periodic Products. I'm using the kit because it's the recommended kit for the CULATOR metal eliminator product and, since I want the product to work, I think its reasonable to follow the recommendations. I already verified the stain is iron by using a vitamin c tablet to remove a small area. The fill water from well tested .2 ppm so I think the staining is from high chlorine and ph levels. Before I found TFP I was paying someone from the pool store to maintain my pool and they LOVED to use Turboshock and since they came biweekly I know the ph was often too high as well. Now that I know how to maintain the pool myself, thanks to TFP, I want to remove the stains and hopefully remove the metal as well so I don't have to routinely use sequester.
The kit instructions are:
1. Balance to 7.2 - 7.4 ph, 80 - 120 TA, 200 - 400 CH and phosphates to less than 10 ppm. (Done except for phosphates, don't know how to measure that)
2. Lower chlorine level to 1 ppm or less. (Scary stuff but I have ProTeam Polyquat 60 algaecide)
3. Turn circulator pump on (I have cartridge filters and I don't think there is a way to bypass them?)
4. Add the Ascorbic and Citric Acid powders
5. Add the Culator Metal Sequester, circulate and brush for an hour then turn pump off and let it sit overnight
6. Next day bring the ph up to 7.2 - 7.6 (I guess this means the ph will drop during the process?)
7. Insert Culator Metal Eliminator cartridge into the pump basket and run the pump at least six hours per day cleaning filters frequently
8. For at least 3 weeks do not shock or allow chlorine to exceed 1 ppm
I'm looking for feedback from other members who have used this process/products - successes, failures, disasters or just general comments.
Also can any of you TFP experts answer the following questions:
Do I need to replace some of the water (been hoping for heavy rain but hasn't arrived yet) to reduce the CYA level and increase the effectiveness of the chlorine before I start?
Is there a way to bypass the cartridge filters to circulate? I have new filters to put in after the process is complete.
At what point do I need to add the Polyquat and will I need to add additional algaecide during the 3 week period that chlorine level is low?
Since bringing ph level back up is in the instructions I'm guessing it is going to drop dramatically at some point - anybody have any experience to share?
Are there pitfalls other than an algae outbreak that I need to be aware of and try to avoid?
Thanks so much for help!