Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I install a Hayward 40k Gallon SWG ?

1. Back To Top    #1

How do I install a Hayward 40k Gallon SWG ?

Hi all,

Hayward AQR15 Goldline AquaRite Electronic Salt Pool Chlorinator Control Box Complete with 40000-Gallon Cell

I am getting close to buying this SWG.

1. Can I install this easily by myself ? If so , how ?

2. What are the alternatives to installing it myself and how much will it cost ?

(I'd like to do it myself but would need clear instructions)

Thank you!
    8,000 gallon, IG (in ground), Gunite, Pleated Cartridge (Brand ?), Pentair 1 HP (Single Speed), Built in 2006, No SWG (yet), Location: Tampa Bay, FL

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How do I install a Hayward 40k Gallon SWG ?

The installation manual can be found at http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manu...stallation.pdf

How confident do you feel about it? Particularly the electrical?

You need to provide power to it. Can be either 110V or 220V but must be provided in such a way that it is only active when your pump is running. If your pump runs off an existing timer, you can tie it into that provided it is not overloaded. If (like me) you have a VS pump with its own controller, you need to add a timer and ensure it's only active while the pump is running.

On the plumbing side, you will need to cut into the existing plumbing to add the cell and flow switch. There is a requirement that the flow switch needs at least 10in of STRAIGHT pipe before it (that can include the actual cell).

I installed mine in an afternoon but that included a trip to the local pool store to get a replacement union after I forgot to add the threaded part before glueing I realized immediately I pushed them together but it was too late

It's not that difficult if you are handy. If you have ANY doubts about the electrical, call a professional.
    Chris Hawkins

18,000 gallon vinyl Inground. Hayward Goldline Aquarite 40k SWG, Pentair Intelliflo VS pump.
    Polaris 3900 cleaner, Pentair Tagelus sand filter. AquaPro 1300 heat pump. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by chawkins99 View Post
    The installation manual can be found at http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manu...stallation.pdf

How confident do you feel about it? Particularly the electrical?

You need to provide power to it. Can be either 110V or 220V but must be provided in such a way that it is only active when your pump is running. If your pump runs off an existing timer, you can tie it into that provided it is not overloaded. If (like me) you have a VS pump with its own controller, you need to add a timer and ensure it's only active while the pump is running.

On the plumbing side, you will need to cut into the existing plumbing to add the cell and flow switch. There is a requirement that the flow switch needs at least 10in of STRAIGHT pipe before it (that can include the actual cell).

I installed mine in an afternoon but that included a trip to the local pool store to get a replacement union after I forgot to add the threaded part before glueing I realized immediately I pushed them together but it was too late

It's not that difficult if you are handy. If you have ANY doubts about the electrical, call a professional.
    Wow, thanks so much ! Yes, I feel like we can probably do this on our own.

The quotes for installation in our area has been $1,500+

I took some pics of our pump set-up, how do I add those here for review ?

- - - Updated - - -

Here are pics of our Pump set-up.

Thoughts ?
    8,000 gallon, IG (in ground), Gunite, Pleated Cartridge (Brand ?), Pentair 1 HP (Single Speed), Built in 2006, No SWG (yet), Location: Tampa Bay, FL

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Looks like you could do it where the puckinator (puck based chlorinator) is. No real need for that anymore.

Can we have picks of the electrical stuff on the wall? Open them please.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

jumbojet*,

It would be very helpful if you could list some of the other DIY projects you have done.....it helps us assess your skill level.

Puckinator??? I certainly hope we have no intention of using that terminology on a regular basis. In our efforts to keep pool care simple, "puckinator" will not help.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    Looks like you could do it where the puckinator (puck based chlorinator) is. No real need for that anymore.

Can we have picks of the electrical stuff on the wall? Open them please.
    Great, we didn't even know it was there. We have been using a $75/month pool service to dump chemicals in our pool so far.

Thanks for all of the help!

7. Back To Top    #7

Pics

Didn't open electric as mosquitos were feeding.

8. Back To Top    #8

220 V line into the gray box.

(2) 110 V outlet.

9. Back To Top    #9

Any insights from the additonal pics on the best way to install the SWG?

Thanks.

10. Back To Top    #10

Is there a good video resource like a Youtube channel to watch the conversion process ?

11. Back To Top    #11

Posting pics again.

Thanks for all the help!
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. Back To Top    #12

I can't help with the set up too much. I just wanted to say if you want to leave your puckinator (sorry Dave but I think it is FUNNY and CUTE!) in you can so you can use it for weekend trips away and such. IF you need the room you can always use floater instead.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Run a 240 volt line from the load side of the timer (terminals #2 and #4) into the swg box. Include a ground wire from the timer ground screw to the swg ground screw.

Connect a #8 bare bond wire from the box bonding lug to the bond wire using a split bolt to connect to the bond wire. Remove the tab feeder and install the cell after the filter. Add salt and you're good to go.

Note: Be sure to read and follow all installation instructions. Don't do anything that you're not sure that you can do safely. Consult an electrician if any doubt.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Run a 240 volt line from the load side of the timer (terminals #2 and #4) into the swg box. Include a ground wire from the timer ground screw to the swg ground screw.

Connect a #8 bare bond wire from the box bonding lug to the bond wire using a split bolt to connect to the bond wire. Remove the tab feeder and install the cell after the filter. Add salt and you're good to go.

Note: Be sure to read and follow all installation instructions. Don't do anything that you're not sure that you can do safely. Consult an electrician if any doubt.
    Thank you!

So, the puckinator (tab feeder) comes out and the SWG will go in its place ? Will I need to do any retrofitting or adjustments ?

15. Back To Top    #15

The tab feeder comes out. You will have to replumb to accommodate the flow sensor "T" and cell. The cell is put in with unions.

The power for the swg comes from the load side of the timer or the last switch before the pump so that the swg only has power when the pump has power.

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

Some PVC work will be needed, to get the required pieces in the space you have to work with. I may be able to come up with a scetch if you need one. G
    Have to be after I get back on laptop in the morning. Too limited on this 99 dollar tablet.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    Some PVC work will be needed, to get the required pieces in the space you have to work with. I may be able to come up with a scetch if you need one. G
    Have to be after I get back on laptop in the morning. Too limited on this 99 dollar tablet.
    Yes, I would greatly appreciate a sketch.

Thank you!

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

I hate to ask, I need one more picture. Backside of filter where the piping comes out from filter and goes to the next device.

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    I can't help with the set up too much. I just wanted to say if you want to leave your puckinator (sorry Dave but I think it is FUNNY and CUTE!) in you can so you can use it for weekend trips away and such. IF you need the room you can always use floater instead.

Kim
    Isn't one point of having a SWCG so that you can go on vacation without having to use pucks? I've always had a SWCG on our 11 year old pool and have never used a single puck. It's great to be able to go on vacation and not worry about the pool turning green.

PS - I also thought the use of the word "puckinator " was funny. I think it's pretty clear that it wasn't used as an "official" term.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

20. Back To Top    #20

I missed the SWG part. That is outside my area as I do not have a SWG and will not have one due to having an above ground pool and a fear of rust

ONE day in the far, far future I will have an fancy in ground pool and WILL have an SWG.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast