Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Signing contract on Saturday last minute depth decision

1. Back To Top    #1

Signing contract on Saturday last minute depth decision

Signing the contract on Saturday for our pool for first build next spring. As the plan stands now the pool will be 3' deep in the shallow end, and 5' in the deep end with a gradual slope. I am worried that the shallow end will be too shallow. Pool length will be 28.3, including stair entrance, and width is 13.6. Its a kidney shaped vinyl pool with fiberglass steps. This is just a leisure/social pool. I am 6'2" and my wife is 5'11". We have a 17 month old son who is just under 3 feet tall at 34.5" at the moment.

I have mentioned to my builder that I am worried that 3' is going to be too shallow for us. I get that my son is young and his safety is number 1, but he is also very tall for his age and kids grow up fast. Also, if the pool is doing a gradual slope, won't that put the middle of the pool at 4'? I am fine with 4', but it seems to me that half the pool being under 4' will be really shallow for us soon if not now. Builder says that because the pool will slope it won't be 3' for very long. Also it makes placing steps in the pool safer, and a easier entrance for swimmers into the pool if there is only 3 steps at 12 inches apart.

I think I would be more comfortable with the shallowest end being 3'5". Is the builder correct about the stair entrance? With a little one, should we have a 3' section? Am I correct in thinking that with a gradual slope the middle of the pool would be at 4' if we went with 3'-5' slope as currently planned?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Signing contract on Saturday last minute depth decision

Every builder we talked to recommended 3 1/2 feet for the shallow end. We went with a 6 ft deep end but 5 1/2 would have been fine too.
    Build thread
    IG Gunite w/ spa, PebbleSheen Blue Surf, 18K gallons 500sqft
    Jandy: 60 DE filter, 2.0 VS (main pump), 2.0 Flo Pro (features)
    Paramount PV3 w/ 1.5 Stealth, PDA PS6, JXi 400K NG
    Flagstone coping & wall. Stamped Concrete from BrickForm. TF-100 w/Speed Stir.

3. Back To Top    #3

You don't mention where you're located and if its in the south or the west, a more shallow pool gets warm in the summer. Possibly too warm to be pleasant.

I truly prefer a deeper pool to enjoy more underwater swimming and the kids like to dive down for objects. Cannon balls are a must for kids to show their splash prowess....and it is just fun!

Our grandson would wear his floatie wings and/or float vest in the deep end as well as the shallow end when he was a toddler. So the entire pool is his playground!
    3' is way too shallow IMO, and I'd go 6" minimum for the deep end.

I regret not going deeper than 6' because I miss diving and a 6' pool is not safe for diving.

Bottom line- IMO of course, is go as deep as you can!!
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

Forgot to mention. I'm 6ft. Wife is 5ft 6in. Our pool is only 34 ft or so long so going deeper would have problematic.
    Build thread
    IG Gunite w/ spa, PebbleSheen Blue Surf, 18K gallons 500sqft
    Jandy: 60 DE filter, 2.0 VS (main pump), 2.0 Flo Pro (features)
    Paramount PV3 w/ 1.5 Stealth, PDA PS6, JXi 400K NG
    Flagstone coping & wall. Stamped Concrete from BrickForm. TF-100 w/Speed Stir.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    You don't mention where you're located and if its in the south or the west, a more shallow pool gets warm in the summer. Possibly too warm to be pleasant.

I truly prefer a deeper pool to enjoy more underwater swimming and the kids like to dive down for objects. Cannon balls are a must for kids to show their splash prowess....and it is just fun!

Our grandson would wear his floatie wings and/or float vest in the deep end as well as the shallow end when he was a toddler. So the entire pool is his playground!
    3' is way too shallow IMO, and I'd go 6" minimum for the deep end.

I regret not going deeper than 6' because I miss diving and a 6' pool is not safe for diving.

Bottom line- IMO of course, is go as deep as you can!!
    Located just out of Boston, MA.

5 feet deep is perfect for us. No interest in diving. I grew up with a 4 foot AG pool and loved every moment of it. I had friends with deeper pools, but you can only hang out in the deep end for so long before getting tired IMO.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Keep in mind the pool usually isn't completely full to the very top. (Think waterline tile, etc) so 36" will likely be more like 33" I think. Out 48" pool looked like a kiddie pool once my son grew to 5'11. Maybe get a yard stick or tape measure to show where the water would go to on your body.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

7. Back To Top    #7

We are going 3.5- 5.5 ft. 6ft is too shallow to dive too deep to stand. I told the PB I wanted a net 3.5-5.5 ft to account for water level. I wanted to go 4-6, but after extensive research swimming in pools we went with 3.5- 5.5
    33x19, 3'4"-5'6", 7ft spa, baja reef, 14'x9', 18" deep, 10,668 Gal. Quartzite coping, Stonescape Tropics Blue mini-pebble, abalone & glass beads. Jandy Equip.(JXi heater, 2.7HPVS pump, PLC1400 SWG, CV580 filter, Aqualink, LEDs)
    TF-100, Doheny Discovery robot.

8. Back To Top    #8

Your son is never going to be in the pool by himself - for a long time to come. Most likely he will learn to swim in the next 3 years too. So making depth choices based on your 17 month old is not a great choice.

Make it a minimum of 3.5 of water depth. I would strongly suggest 4'

Plenty of posts here of people complaining of hitting their knees and hands on the bottom of pool.

Geometric pool with all Pentair equipment. Raised spa - 18" with Artic Lagoon 1" glass tiles. 3HP VS Pump, 2 skimmers, 6 returns, IC40 Salt system, Easy Touch 8 with LED color light in pool and spa. 1200 sqft of Marble White Pavers decking in Versailles pattern. Tiling and coping almost completed, Indigo Blue Prism Matrix plaster. Pool Build Thread: Houston (Katy) Pool Build - Started April 2016

9. Back To Top    #9

We have 3.5x5x4 and 3.5 is too shallow. Nobody goes there, especially kids. Kids are all over the pool and like to hang out on benches. Wehave 3 around the pool and more would be better. Between 4 and 5 is perfect for people to stand in neck deep water, it is plenty deep to swim. And benches are great for adults to sit and sip on beverages or kids to launch from or rest.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

If you can, go into some pools and see what works best for you, I was all set on 4-6 ft until I spent 3 weeks in Maui in multiple pool and realized 3.5-5.5 ft was best for us.
    33x19, 3'4"-5'6", 7ft spa, baja reef, 14'x9', 18" deep, 10,668 Gal. Quartzite coping, Stonescape Tropics Blue mini-pebble, abalone & glass beads. Jandy Equip.(JXi heater, 2.7HPVS pump, PLC1400 SWG, CV580 filter, Aqualink, LEDs)
    TF-100, Doheny Discovery robot.

11. Back To Top    #11

CONTRACT SIGNED THIS MORNING!!!!

We ended up going 3'6" to 5'6" water depth. The slope will not be as gradual as I thought so the shallow end will not be as long. Located here in New England we will not start build until early April. It's going to be s looooong winter!

12. Back To Top    #12

Congratulations! Yes, the wait will be tough but worth it in the end. Care to share the contract/build details? Any design sketches or CAD layouts?
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by rmclain73 View Post
    CONTRACT SIGNED THIS MORNING!!!!

We ended up going 3'6" to 5'6" water depth. The slope will not be as gradual as I thought so the shallow end will not be as long. Located here in New England we will not start build until early April. It's going to be s looooong winter!
    Yay!!! Congratulations!!! Now hurry up Spring!!

Pictures!!! We need pictures of your design!
    Denise-TFP Guide
    IG 13.6x30 gunite, Radiant Fusion Topaz, 3.6/5.6/4, 14100 gal, 2 skimmer, 4 Hayward LED lights (pool & spa), Hayward Echostar VSP, 2 future fire bowls, raised beam wall w/ scuppers,7x7 raised spa, DE Progrid70, SWG Hayward Goldline, OmniLogic, Hayward 400K BTU heater, stamped colored deck, Dolphin Discovery robotic cleaner, TF100 test kit, Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma

14. Back To Top    #14

Just wondering aloud about the benefit of signing a contract now to start a build in April.

Do they line up projects for spring right away?

Geometric pool with all Pentair equipment. Raised spa - 18" with Artic Lagoon 1" glass tiles. 3HP VS Pump, 2 skimmers, 6 returns, IC40 Salt system, Easy Touch 8 with LED color light in pool and spa. 1200 sqft of Marble White Pavers decking in Versailles pattern. Tiling and coping almost completed, Indigo Blue Prism Matrix plaster. Pool Build Thread: Houston (Katy) Pool Build - Started April 2016

15. Back To Top    #15

The only reason I ask is that I find myself changing my mind so often...not sure if I can stick with a plan for so long. I will always be itching to change design, change material, etc etc

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by philboyj View Post
    The only reason I ask is that I find myself changing my mind so often...not sure if I can stick with a plan for so long. I will always be itching to change design, change material, etc etc

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
    Just because you sign a contract doesn't mean things can't be changed. Most people will make many changes and upgrades even during the build process. Signing the contract just locks you into the PBs schedule.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

17. Back To Top    #17

Just wondering aloud about the benefit of signing a contract now to start a build in April.

Yes, they line the jobs up now for next Spring. Plus, it locks you in at this year prices. There is still some flexibility with shape and size of the pool as long as you stay under so many square feet.

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    Congratulations! Yes, the wait will be tough but worth it in the end. Care to share the contract/build details? Any design sketches or CAD layouts?
    Once construction begins in the Spring I will make a dedicated thread with many pics.

We just completed phase 1 of construction this week. This included tree removal, regrading the yard, new retaining wall, and new fence.

Pool Specs:

* Inground 28'3"x13'6" kidney shaped, 3'6"-5'6" water depth, polymer walls, vermiculite bottom, vinyl freeform custom pool. We can play with the size of the pool at no additional cost as long as we don't exceed certain sq feet up to the time of build.
    * 28ml liner sides, 20ml floor.
    * Lifetime structural warranty.
    * 20 year pro rated liner warranty.
    * Contractors CAD drawings and landscape design.
    * Permits from the town.
    * 1 day of allowance of layout and excavate fill.
    * Hydrostatic relief valve and 20 tons of stone allowance.
    * One truckload of processed gravel for backfill.
    * Pentair FNS cartridge filter with polymer tank.
    * Pentair Whisperflo pump, 2 speed 1HP.
    * Pentair IntelliChlor SWCG.
    * One skimmer with weir gate, and three surface return lines.
    * Two "Anti Vortex" covered main drains T'd together for safety against entrapment.
    * Pre-Plumbed dedicated line for Polaris.
    * Polaris 280
    * 2 colored LED Pentair lights
    * Loop Loc winter cover installed.
    * 12" bull nose rounded paver coping around perimeter of pool with one side natural stone.

Previous concept art and CAD. Will be getting updated CAD this week. We are now making the pool more kidney shaped over figure 8, and there will be no fire pit. We are doing a pergola instead with seating under.

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

one of the PBs we have interviewed is already booked through Feburary. He said at the rate he's getting contracts, if someone waits until January to sign he won't be able to have them swimming for the summer. Our other PB is just as booked. I'm personally feeling a little panicked that we haven't been able to sign with one yet and that it will still be 1-3 weeks yet before we are able. I want my pool done for the beginning of May and the timeline is getting pretty tight.

rmclain73- it looks good! Just think what a great yard you will have this summer!
    Denise-TFP Guide
    IG 13.6x30 gunite, Radiant Fusion Topaz, 3.6/5.6/4, 14100 gal, 2 skimmer, 4 Hayward LED lights (pool & spa), Hayward Echostar VSP, 2 future fire bowls, raised beam wall w/ scuppers,7x7 raised spa, DE Progrid70, SWG Hayward Goldline, OmniLogic, Hayward 400K BTU heater, stamped colored deck, Dolphin Discovery robotic cleaner, TF100 test kit, Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma

20. Back To Top    #20

Hmmmm... I don't know that I've ever heard of a hydrostatic relief valve installed in a vinyl pool?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast