Pool Deck Renovation Help!

Oct 22, 2015
tampa
Hello,

I would like to renovate my pool deck by doing the following:

1. Replace all pavers
2. Replace all coping brick
3. Replace all water line tile
4. Add pavers to expand pool deck where trees are (treesIMG_5510.jpgIMG_5511.jpgIMG_5510.jpgIMG_5511.jpg and vegetation will be removed and leveled)
5. Add a spa light
6. Replace water Feature

Ballpark of cost per sq ft?

The pool itself and the equipment is in great shape.

If you need any more information let me know.

Thank you!

-James in Tampa

No idea on the cost but think it will be a neat project. Every area has it's own price point. Have you called any landscape people for quotes? Are you able to do any of the work your self?

I like your decking. I would not change it. I WOULD change the coping. Maybe just use the same stuff as the decking?

The water line tile is pretty but I see that it is chipping and coming off so ..............

Kim

I agree with Kim, your decking is pretty! Some new coping and waterline tile will give it new life!
I would imagine your cost would depend on materials selected since it's all priced per linear ft or per sq ft. Labor is usually priced the same way, so you would have demo cost plus install cost plus materials cost.

If you look at the travertine in person, it is extremely faded. I would try to keep it, however with the expansion of the deck where the trees current are, it would be a new travertine that would not match the old stuff.

I got a few quotes...we're looking at about $15 for an all new deck, new coping, install new spa light, and replace water feature. Is that reasonable?

$15 for everything seem like a good deal - lol. However, I'm sure that you meant $15,000.
Does that include waterline tile?
How many square feet of decking?
What decking?
What will be the new water feature?
Does that include demolition and removal?
Is the plaster in good shape?
If the plaster is old, maybe it should be redone as well.

U may want to get a landscape designer to look at things. U could potentially avoid the hassle of the deck redo as the travertine is in good shape by just cleaning that up. Consider outdoor lighting in that area. Your price quote seems very competitive. For my in progress remodel, the travertine coping install, material, and demo of existing coping was $5000 alone.

If you go for NOT matching decking you could clean up and keep your old decking.................I have no idea if you quote is a good one or not. Every area is SO different in pricing.........maybe get another quote or 4 from your area and see what that shows you.

Kim

To answer a few questions:

Does that include waterline tile? NO - the current pool surface is in good shape. They were concerned that if they attempted to replace the tile, that they would damage the waterline tile and would be forced to resurface the pool. The pool does not require it at the moment, so we will replace the waterline tile when the pool does require resurfacing.
How many square feet of decking? I do not have the sq footage #
What decking? New deck will be a new lighter colored travertine
What will be the new water feature? Instead of a 1 ft "finger" style feature, it will be a 2-3' waterfall type
Does that include demolition and removal? I have a friend that is going to take it all away for free
Is the plaster in good shape? I'm assuming you mean the pool surface? Yes it is in good shape.
If the plaster is old, maybe it should be redone as well. It's in good shape

We already have outdoor lighting and a speaker system installed, plus irrigation...I will be rerouting all of the wiring and irrigation to prep for a vibernum awabuki hedge that will grow to be a privacy hedge.

Here are some basic drawings of the after...I can't upload the before because I ran out of space in the attachment manager?

Red = Fence Line
Black Outline = house/garage
Green = current vegetation
Tan = Travertine deck
Blue = Pool/Spa

After:

Attachments

• Pool After.JPG
    Pool After.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 51
That is some friend! You say he will take it away for free. What about the demo?

For more photos you can become a TFP supporter or you can use photo bucket or such.

I have to say I agree with James--------it would be best to get more quotes to see what the area costs and who is hungry right now.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ive gotten two quotes, they were in the 13.5 to 15 ballpark. The 13.5 guy has been cleaning my pool for a few years and does a ton of business in the area. I will likely go with him...there are just a ton of steps to go for the whole project....rerouting wiring and irrigation...tree removal...deck replacement etc...new landscape install...irrigation and wiring final install...

- - - Updated - - -

There isn't much demo except removing the existing coping brick, which I will leave to the PB to ensure that I do not damage the pool or skimmer buckets. My friend will be re-using the pavers on his own property so he is glad to take them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.