Green Swamp-Not Improving !

Nov 19, 2014
Homosassa, Florida
Have really bad green algae. Had to leave the pool for a couple weeks and turned off the pump which is failing due to bad bearings. Fc is way up at 35. No CC's and CYA is around 60. PH 7.2. Please help I seem to be getting nowhere fast and don't know what to do. Have read pool school. Thank you !

You really need to have your filter & pump running 24/7 during a SLAM. Are you brushing at least daily? How long have you been SLAMming?

How often are you able to test and add chlorine?

With a CYA of 60ppm, your shock level for the SLAM is 24ppm. Why do you have it at 35ppm? Are you 100% certain you have not let the FC drop below 24ppm during the SLAM?

Can you post some pictures of the pool water?

The pool did not turn green overnight, it can not be expected to clear overnight. A SLAM is all about "staying the course", and requires a lot of POP (Pool Owner Patience).

Dom

Like Dom said, you need sanitation AND filtration to clear a swamp. Chlorine to kill the algae, filtration to remove the dead algae. Regular testing to maintain FC is imperative as well as regular brushing of the entire pool, paying special attention to nooks, crannies, corners and underneath and behind fixtures such as lights and ladders. Going significantly over the recommended SLAM FC won't likely make it go any faster and is actually less efficient, but maintaining it at or slightly above that FC very regularly will kill algae.

For lack of a better term, your pool needs extensive baby-sitting during the process. The more you test, dose and brush, the better results you'll have.

You really need to have your filter & pump running 24/7 during a SLAM. Are you brushing at least daily? How long have you been SLAMming?

How often are you able to test and add chlorine?

With a CYA of 60ppm, your shock level for the SLAM is 24ppm. Why do you have it at 35ppm? Are you 100% certain you have not let the FC drop below 24ppm during the SLAM?

Can you post some pictures of the pool water?

The pool did not turn green overnight, it can not be expected to clear overnight. A SLAM is all about "staying the course", and requires a lot of POP (Pool Owner Patience).

Dom

Yes pump running 24/7 and yes brushing daily but can't see the bottom of the pool. Chlorine level has been above 27 since Tuesday/Wednesday. I know the shock level is 24 but when nothing was happening I threw in 2 more bags of shock this morning because I'm so frustrated. Not sure how to post pictures here using my cell phone. I amretired and home most of the time so I can give the pool the attention it needs. Will let the chlorine drift down a little and brush some more.

- - - Updated - - -

How much backwashing should I be doing with my sand filter? Pressure is not increasing .

Had to leave the pool for a couple weeks and turned off the pump which is failing due to bad bearings.

What exactly is happening to your pump? Is it working and/or leaking? If working, then please follow the SLAM instructions are per Dom and JVTrain's advice. You must be there to take care of the pool. Leaving, even with the pump running will not work. If you left for a couple of weeks, how did your FC get to 35ppm?

You have the proper test kit to perform the SLAM. Please bring TC levels to the magic number for your CYA. You must maintain that level daily, which will require additions of bleach frequently, especially the first few days. If you leave the pool side, then any work you have done will be lost and you will backtrack, not move forward. Please start the SLAM process and we will guide you every step of the way. Thanks! :p

I threw in 2 more bags of shock this morning

Bags of shock is not the answer. Liquid chlorine (bleach) is the answer.

How much backwashing should I be doing with my sand filter?

When your pressure increases 25% of your normal starting pressure. If you shut off your filter and your gauge goes to "zero", then it should be working properly. After you initially backwash, you will determine your starting pressure.

Last edited:
I just noticed you said the word SHOCK. We don't use or advocate the use of SHOCK. All you should be using is bleach or liquid chlorine. Unfortunately, depending on the SHOCK you have been using your CYA is probably through the roof.

What type of SHOCK were you using????

Please test and post your current CYA level.

What exactly is happening to your pump? Is it working and/or leaking? If working, then please follow the SLAM instructions are per Dom and JVTrain's advice. You must be there to take care of the pool. Leaving, even with the pump running will not work. If you left for a couple of weeks, how did your FC get to 35ppm?

You have the proper test kit to perform the SLAM. Please bring TC levels to the magic number for your CYA. You must maintain that level daily, which will require additions of bleach frequently, especially the first few days. If you leave the pool side, then any work you have done will be lost and you will backtrack, not move forward. Please start the SLAM process and we will guide you every step of the way. Thanks! :p

Pump is making loud buzzing noise. Suspect bad bearings. It is working fine and not leaking. I did leave for a couple weeks but started adding bleach and shock when I returned. Normally I do use bleach but nothing was happening so bought the shock. Clorox shock in small bags from WalMart. Ok will test CYA level and post.

Bags of shock is not the answer. Liquid chlorine (bleach) is the answer.

When your pressure increases 25% of your normal starting pressure. If you shut off your filter and your gauge goes to "zero", then it should be working properly. After you initially backwash, you will determine your starting pressure.

Gotcha. I believe filter is functioning normally.

I just noticed you said the word SHOCK. We don't use or advocate the use of SHOCK. All you should be using is bleach or liquid chlorine. Unfortunately, depending on the SHOCK you have been using your CYA is probably through the roof.

What type of SHOCK were you using????

Please test and post your current CYA level.
Just to echo Bob's advice, liquid chlorine (aka bleach) is what you need for the SLAM.

We really need to know what you have been using for these "bags of shock". If it is Dichlor you are adding 9ppm of CYA with every 10ppm of FC.

If it is Cal-Hypo you will be driving up your CH level which can lead to cloudiness issues.

Dom

I just checked and all Clorox SHOCK products seem to be Dichlor. So 9ppm CYA for every 10ppm chlorine

Except for the Salt Pool one. It's MPS...
I've re-read this thread twice and don't see anywhere that the OP posted that the shock was a Clorox product.

Or am I blind?

Dom

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I read it here:

Pump is making loud buzzing noise. Suspect bad bearings. It is working fine and not leaking. I did leave for a couple weeks but started adding bleach and shock when I returned. Normally I do use bleach but nothing was happening so bought the shock. Clorox shock in small bags from WalMart. Ok will test CYA level and post.

But that original post is now gone...All that's left is a quoted post of it...

I read it here:

But that original post is now gone...All that's left is a quoted post of it...
Thanks Bob, I see it now, buried in a quote from Catanzaro.

Dom

Did you test your CYA with your back to full sun, holding it in front of you, in the shade?

If not then the CYA reading is likely not correct.

If you've been running the filter 24/7 and kept fc levels high and brushing daily you should see positive changes
to the water by this weekend I would think.

CYA is 60-70

So Minimum for FC SLAM is 28ppm use only bleach or liquid chlorine and keep it at that level. Test and add often, every 2 hours, would be great. Until level doesn't drop much between testing. Then you can stretch it out a little.

Plus, the effects of the SHOCK will not register for a few days. So it is probably even higher then we think.

- - - Updated - - -

And don't forget to take pictures everyday. The best would be a feature that goes done into the water, like steps or a ladder. Even the vacuum hose. That way you will see the change each day.

Did you test your CYA with your back to full sun, holding it in front of you, in the shade?

If not then the CYA reading is likely not correct.

If you've been running the filter 24/7 and kept fc levels high and brushing daily you should see positive changes
to the water by this weekend I would think.

Did the CYA test standing under the roof of my deck. If too much light that would mean CYA is lower right?

Have you been using the bags of shock all along?

If so I do not think your CYA value is anywhere close to correct. Just to get your FC to 24 with bags of shock on your size pool would have taken 11 8 oz bags. 11 bags would have raised your CYA 20 points itself.

CYA 80 and FC now 27

- - - Updated - - -

No just started using the bags of shock. Normally use bleach but nothing was happening so got the shock. I used 12 bags but I'm switching back to bleach on the advice of this forum. CYA 80 and FC 24 this morning so will add bleach now. One gallon or more?

Shock level for CYA 80 is 31, so add what you need to get to 31 and keep it there. Test and adjust back to 31 as many times as you can a day with at least one hour breaks between additions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.