Soon to be pool owner with a couple questions

errorz

Oct 6, 2015
Phx, AZ
First of all, thank you for the wealth of knowledge that is here. It is great to not only see people helping one another, but being kind to one another in the process.

My wife and I are in the process of purchasing a home in the Phoenix area w/ a ~13,000 gal play pool in the backyard handled by their Pool guy using almost exclusively Trichlor (from a 6" Deck container that empties it out into the pool from a 1" hole). Being rather new to pool maintenance, I grabbed a cup of water during the inspections to inspect the inevitable trainwreck of a water situation the pool had. Pool is mostly clean (in need of a good brush w/ minor signs of some growth but no stains that would require a major acid wash) w/ good quality plaster (for a 13 year old pool).

I know to have extremely little faith in a pool store's water testing (though am waiting to purchase a TF100 till this home purchase becomes more of reality). Here are their "results" (done with a strip test, then some handheld electronic test).

TC 2.2
FC 1.5
pH 8.3
TA 150
CH 475
CYA *250*
Tot Solids 2110

I know w/ the higher pH the tests are off and obviously take this with a grain of salt until I can actually get to work at righting this ship here, though I am wondering if I should simply "start over" with the water as opposed to partial refill (Calc says 75% exchange+ if this is a semi accurate test reading). He said my water was "old" in which I looked rather odd at him.

With winter coming and cooler temps her in Arizona, we aren't intending to swim until March. I know CYA may dip in the cooler temps. I know a partial refill is obviously in order w/ the exclusive use of Trichlor from the previous owner.

Other than saying "hello I'm new!" my question is really this: Should I wait on the drain/refill through the winter, do a partial drain or completely start anew? And yes, I will get real results on the water testing when we acquire the property.

Thank you very much for your time everyone, looking forward to taking this challenge on.
-Jeremy

Old water is pool store code for "We mucked your water up and now you need to refill so we can muck it up again with great profit"

With CYA that high, you have no choice but to drain and refill. Get a TF100 and take over the pool.

Wouldn't it be nice to drain all of that "old" water directly into the pool store? Ask them for money back since you are returning their expensive chemicals!

Hello and Welcome!! :wave:

I would defiantly get a good test kit. But that pH is too high to leave alone. You might want to pick up a simple drop based kit and verify it for yourself. If it is that high you will want to get it down into the 7.4 7.5 range asap.

Once your ready to take complete control, we can work on the rest of the parameters. You'll be surprised at how easy it can be.

Welcome Errorz :)
For being in Phx I am more surprised your CH came up at only 475? So many folks out west deal with such hard water ....

If you decide to do a total drain, just be aware you shouldn't let the pool shell remain empty because letting the plaster dry out is not good for it. If there is any delay in refilling, keep the plaster sprayed down with a hose.

Have you considered how you'll chlorinate the pool once refilled? SWG or liquid chlorine are your best options.

Enough of my rambling thoughts.... again, Welcome to TFP :)

Yippee :flower:

Thank you Yippee! We are planning on liquid possibly even with a stenner @ some point. I had mentioned briefly to that same Pool Store guy about it, in which he said "you can't in Arizona! You would be pouring over 10 gallons a week in if not more!!" I smiled again, you guys aren't kidding about these Poolstore people. Been reading here for over a month and every method is logical, reasonable, not presented in condemnation.

Thank you all for your time and I am sure I will be posting more in the future (both for help and hopefully to help at some point!)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.