Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just got my TF-100 kit

1. Back To Top    #1

Just got my TF-100 kit

Is there a first test in should do or just work down the sheet?

also, is there a certain time of day to not perform the tests? Can test be done in evening or dark?

Pool built March 2015 - 19K gal Chlorine, IG pebble sheen, intelliflo variable speed pump, 420 SF Pentair cartridge filter(Pleatco), Booster pump for Paramount pv3 In Floor Cleaning system, 2 hp pump for water features, Auto Fill valve, 19' W x 36' L, 3-1/2' to 7' depth, 400,000 BTU heater for spa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just got my TF-100 kit

You can test everything at any time *except* the CYA which is best done in a sunny day, holding the vial waist high in front of you while the sun is at your back.

I made a form up on my computer that I can print out and keep a record for a few months at a time. I also note on it what my SWG percentage is and any chemicals I add.

You want to run your pH and FC/CC daily
    Run the TA and CH weekly
    Run the CYA monthly.... then as you get to know your pool well you can back off somewhat on the tests. LIke doing the pH and FC every other day. You'll get to where you start to recognize what's going on with your water even *before* you test.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

It doesn't really matter what order so just follow down the sheet. The tests can be performed at any time of the day/night although the CYA works better in natural sunlight, so better to perform this test during the day. To get a handle on what is happening particularly with your FC, it makes sense to try and test at the same time-mornings/afternoon.
    11 000 gallons, IG, Fibreglass, Monarch Sand Filter, Davey Typhoon C100M 1HP pump, Davey Chloromatic Mc16CTO ESR SWG, Davey Pool Wall Climba Robot, Daisy Solar Cover,
    K-2006

4. Back To Top    #4

I like testing at night so if I have to add chlorine, it will work all night and not degrade with sunlight.

5. Back To Top    #5

gss, even though your TF-100 has a card with directions on it, you might also like to refer to this page from time to time: Extended Test Kit Directions. Just remember that your FC level is based on the CYA, so always take those two numbers back to the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart to ensure the two are in-sync. If you have any specific testing questions that you can't find an answer to in the test kit or the link above, just let us know. As you can tell, there are many folks here happy to help.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Did my first test and here are results

7.8 PH
    2.0 FC
    2.5 TC
    425 CH
    220 TA
    80 CYA

Is there any test I missed? Water is clear and I've just been adding liquid bleach daily for last 5 days. About gallon /day

Pool built March 2015 - 19K gal Chlorine, IG pebble sheen, intelliflo variable speed pump, 420 SF Pentair cartridge filter(Pleatco), Booster pump for Paramount pv3 In Floor Cleaning system, 2 hp pump for water features, Auto Fill valve, 19' W x 36' L, 3-1/2' to 7' depth, 400,000 BTU heater for spa

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Looking at the FC/CYA chart in Pool School, you need that FC up around 5-7 ppm (I think) with a CYA of 80 ppm.

Double check your TA testing methods. Did you wipe the dropper tip after every few drops?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Looking at the FC/CYA chart in Pool School, you need that FC up around 5-7 ppm (I think) with a CYA of 80 ppm.

Double check your TA testing methods. Did you wipe the dropper tip after every few drops?
    I did that test again and got 190 for the TA. I would see the cylinder start to turn red but it took about 2 extra drops to get the whole solution red.

9. Back To Top    #9

That is a pretty high TA number. It will cause your PH to rise so keep a fairly close eye on it. It is important to keep PH at 7.8 or less. Adding acid to lower your PH will slowly lower your TA. Or you can actively it following this, Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach