Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cheap alternative to pool cover water ballast bags.

1. Back To Top    #1

Cheap alternative to pool cover water ballast bags.

I am sure someone has already done this, but it is a first for me. I hate having to buy pool water bags every year because they break and tear so easily. This year I am trying something new. In my house we go though gallons of milk and water constantly. I just started saving the containers, filled them with water, and tied them together. I would tie four together and place every so many feet apart. This is the first year for me so not sure how they will fare through the winter. It also doesn't give a completely tight seal, but I am more concerned with protecting the liner than keeping dirt out. Just thought I would share.uploadfromtaptalk1445466428703.jpg

22,750 gallon in-ground Vinyl Liner (1 main, 2 skimmers, 5 returns) 16x38 from 4' to 9'
    1hp A.O. Smith coupled to Hayward Superpump 52gpm
    300 lb Sta-Rite Crystal-Flo sand filter
    Hayward Comfortzone gas heater
    Manual Pool Vacuum (yes seriously)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cheap alternative to pool cover water ballast bags.

Ya' might wanna leave a little space at the top. Freezing water expands. I'd probably drill a hole in the top too.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

x2 on leaving some room at the top. Every year we reuse the old bleach bottles from the season filled with water to hold down our cover. Almost always a few splits open due to freezing, but for the most part they work perfect. Then once Spring comes we empty all the water out and take them to the recycling bins.

4. Back To Top    #4

Great idea. I should have kept a bunch of bleach bottles I used this past season. Next year, I'm trying this.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I have plenty downstairs (great idea) for added protection.

Question: Does anyone find that the wind blows these into the pool? If they were left by themselves. Or would it be best to link them all together with a string around the pool? Or 4 of them together, like schurtj has done?

I gave up on water bags, moved on to Aqua Blocks (first year using them) and maybe this will be the new way of doing things! Thanks!
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013

6. Back To Top    #6

This is my first year doing this. I agree, i should reduce water in them to allow for expansion. Drilling a hole in cap is a great idea as well. I will report back how they work out this year. I tied them together so hopefully the wind can't move them. We will see!

22,750 gallon in-ground Vinyl Liner (1 main, 2 skimmers, 5 returns) 16x38 from 4' to 9'
    1hp A.O. Smith coupled to Hayward Superpump 52gpm
    300 lb Sta-Rite Crystal-Flo sand filter
    Hayward Comfortzone gas heater
    Manual Pool Vacuum (yes seriously)

7. Back To Top    #7

Maybe sprinkle in some of that safety ice-melt for driveways, then shake to dissolve? Dirt cheap. lol.

I really hated the covers with water bags. I think I spent more on the water bags over the years to pay for my anchored safety cover.

-R
    29,085.1 gal inground grecian vinyl, Hayward Super Pump VS, Hayward S-240 sand filter, Dolphin Nautilus Plus (aka Agador Spartacus), Taylor K-2006 kit, nice pool brush, crappy leaf net, frogs

8. Back To Top    #8

Sam's Club sells their used icing buckets (with lids) for $1 each. I fill those 2/3 of the way full with water (pool water I would drain out anyway) and put the lid on halfway (which is enough to keep it from blowing off). They are heavy buckets and did a great job for me last year (which was my first year with a pool). I've heard those water bags are awful because the sun rots them quickly. I may eventually go to a safety cover and have way too many buckets, but for the time being it is a great alternative! They stack wonderfully and several lids will fit inside the one empty buckets!!!

Sent using Tapatalk
    ~ 18.5' x 36.5' inground Grecian pool with vinyl liner
    ~ approximately 23,000 gallons
    ~ AquaRite Salt Water Generator cell size t-9
    ~ 1.5 HP Hayward Pump and Hayward Sand Filter
    ~ TF-100 test kit