Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Ecostar losing prime - but full of water

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward Ecostar losing prime - but full of water

I've notice a problem within the last two weeks. My Ecostar pump has been shutting off with the LCD reading that it has lost prime. The pump is less than two years old. The only way I can get it to restart is to cut the power for a few seconds, open the lid, then closing it again. The problem though is that the pump is full of water when it shuts off. I would have though that if it lost prime, there would be very little water in it, or at least some air. But no, it's chock full of water. Any ideas on this? Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Pleasanton, CA

Re: Hayward Ecostar losing prime - but full of water

When running, is the flow strong and the filter pressure normal?

If so, it could be a bad drive.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, good flow and good filter pressure. I sure hope it's not a bad drive. I installed it myself and I've read where a self-installation is only given a 1 year warranty while a "pro" installation (no offense to anybody) is given a three year. I'm no pro, but this isn't my first rodeo either.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

So watch what it does. Does it run normally and then lose prime....which means it sucks in air.?. Does it say "lost prime" but continues to function. We need more info to be of any help. The electronic message and what is physically happening may not be the same.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School