Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Buying new home

1. Back To Top    #1

Buying new home

We are buying a new home with a gunite pool built in 2008. I HAD a cartridge filter with one pump so this is all new. Any help or advice would be great. There is a "separation tank," what is that?? The filter is earth, I'm used to the ease of cartridge filters. 2 pumps? One for the hot tub? Thanks for any input.

23k gal in-ground gunite w/ spa/blower, Sheer descent, Jandy AquaPure SWCG, Pentair 2HP Pump x2, Raypak P-R406A-EN-C 399k BTU gas heater, Polaris 380/Polaris PB4-60 Pump, DE filter w/ separation tank

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Buying new home

Wow! quite the setup you have there..and a gorgeous pool!

And you have one of the best Heater brands too.. that's great.

The separation tank has to do with your DE filter and backwashing i think.

In floor cleaning with a vinyl liner...neat! didn't know that was possible.

Have you ordered a test kit yet?
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by borjis View Post
    Wow! quite the setup you have there..and a gorgeous pool!

And you have one of the best Heater brands too.. that's great.

The separation tank has to do with your DE filter and backwashing i think.

In floor cleaning with a vinyl liner...neat! didn't know that was possible.

Have you ordered a test kit yet?
    Oh, my "old" pool is a liner with a cleaning system. Ugh I'm going to miss it. Love the in floor system. I've been doing my own pool for 3 years now. The new pool is what is shown. I also noticed, no side basket things. Only 4 medium sized intakes at the deep end floor?? I'll also convert to salt water, assume that should be OK too. Thanks!

--and what's the third black pump? I'm so confused lol

23k gal in-ground gunite w/ spa/blower, Sheer descent, Jandy AquaPure SWCG, Pentair 2HP Pump x2, Raypak P-R406A-EN-C 399k BTU gas heater, Polaris 380/Polaris PB4-60 Pump, DE filter w/ separation tank

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

That black pump is to operate a pressure side pool cleaner, eg a Polaris? Is there one in the pool?

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by OldPoolMan View Post
    That black pump is to operate a pressure side pool cleaner, eg a Polaris? Is there one in the pool?
    Yes! It was hooked up to a port inside the pool. Someone told me its a water propelled cleaner. That good? Bad?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by friguy3 View Post
    Yes! It was hooked up to a port inside the pool. Someone told me its a water propelled cleaner. That good? Bad?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Assuming its working- its Good!
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

7. Back To Top    #7

As to the PB4-60...I have that exact pump and it pushes Huey (a Polaris 280 cleaner) around the pool sucking up pool bottom debris and occasionally sending out spurts of water hitting oblivious passerbys.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

8. Back To Top    #8

So I spoke to the builder, there are 2 returns on the side I didn't see and the 4 small main drains are because they have a sheer descent. Guess that explains most lol

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Agent99 View Post
    As to the PB4-60...I have that exact pump and it pushes Huey (a Polaris 280 cleaner) around the pool sucking up pool bottom debris and occasionally sending out spurts of water hitting oblivious passerbys.

Haha! I named the hayward navigator at my last place Huey as well! (silent running)

Left him behind as the new house had an older red colored hayward navigator.
    I put new cork shoes on him works just like new, named him "Bob" (the red color of it is just like the 2 robots from Disney's "The Black Hole")
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Your second pump does run the sheer descent, the separation tank is used in areas where d.e. runoff is prohibited and is not allowed discharg to a sewer, think of it as a fine net that catches the dirty d.e. as you backwash the pool to the pool, thats exactly what it does and you clean it when you clean the filter. As far as salt..... not with this pool, that awesome raypak heater is packing a copper heat exchange and your separation tank is stainless steel, id imagine your light conduit is red brass as well, the salt water will lead to its quick demise. And thats alot of vac alerts for a residential pool. To reset them pull down with both sides of the red handle bars.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Manlymaid View Post
    Your second pump does run the sheer descent, the separation tank is used in areas where d.e. runoff is prohibited and is not allowed discharg to a sewer, think of it as a fine net that catches the dirty d.e. as you backwash the pool to the pool, thats exactly what it does and you clean it when you clean the filter. As far as salt..... not with this pool, that awesome raypak heater is packing a copper heat exchange and your separation tank is stainless steel, id imagine your light conduit is red brass as well, the salt water will lead to its quick demise. And thats alot of vac alerts for a residential pool. To reset them pull down with both sides of the red handle bars.
    Ahhh, so that's what those pressure things are! And no salt with the raypak heater?! Oye, might keep that from the wife until we move in. Why would they make systems that can't be salt water? Thanks for the info!

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

I hate to play the he said she said game but I truly believe that is incorrect. I have read everything on this site and raypaks site and I find nothing to say that you can't have a SWG. In fact I remember this question being directly addressed by Chem Geek and others. The final answer is, as long as your water is balanced, your equipment is safe. Unbalance pH is the greatest culprit as far as corrosion is concerned. The only devices that would preclude a SWG would be soft iron or soft steel.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    I hate to play the he said she said game but I truly believe that is incorrect. I have read everything on this site and raypaks site and I find nothing to say that you can't have a SWG. In fact I remember this question being directly addressed by Chem Geek and others. The final answer is, as long as your water is balanced, your equipment is safe. Unbalance pH is the greatest culprit as far as corrosion is concerned. The only devices that would preclude a SWG would be soft iron or soft steel.
    Agreed.

Stainless steel is exactly what you need for a SWG pool as well. Stainless steel is also used throughout the marine/maritime industry.

Again, as mentioned, correct water balance is all that is needed.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

14. Back To Top    #14

Most heater manufacturers don't explicitly say not to use salt but rather promote their cupro-nickel or titanium heat exchangers as being designed to handle the higher corrosion rates normally associated with pools that have higher salt levels. See this post, for example.

As for stainless steel, there are different types and the standard type used in pools is 304 which will be more susceptible to corrosion from higher chloride levels than 316 or 316L which are marine-grade.

Metals such as brass or zinc-coated are going to have more problems, but they would tend to corrode at lower salt levels as well, just more slowly. Aluminum is also a problem though issues with metal corrosion can be at least partially alleviated by connecting a sacrificial zinc anode to the bonding wire and burying that anode in moist soil. This puts a small negative electric voltage on the metal in contact with pool water and that helps prevent corrosion that converts metal solid to metal ions. The zinc anode corrodes instead of the metal in the pool so is sacrificed.

Most people with heaters with copper heat exchangers and with normal stainless steel don't have problems in their SWCG pools. Some do but it's a small percentage. As was noted, low pH is most detrimental at accelerating metal corrosion, but there's no question that higher conductivity from the salt also plays a role and higher chloride levels interfere with the reformation of the passivity layer in stainless steel (especially when sulfate levels are higher). This EPA document states the following on p. 28 of the PDF file:

Non-halide salts have little effect on stainless steels, but chlorides particularly tend to promote pitting, crevice corrosion, and stress-corrosion cracking. In some cases sulfates seem to aggravate the effects of chlorides. Chlorides present in amounts as little of 0.3% with sulfates present can produce severe corrosion. Even quite low concentrations of chlorides can cause corrosion when concentrated by occlusion in surface films. Oxidizing chlorides such as ferric or cupric chloride are specific for severe pitting, although halide salts can cause severe pitting and stress corrosion cracking. The austenitic stainless steels are, however, the most susceptible of all the stainless steels to “chloride” stress corrosion cracking.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"