Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Advice needed-Buying New Pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Advice needed-Buying New Pump

Had a Hayward 1 1/2 hp pump. Upon opening the pool pump would not start. Handyman cleaned out gunk and got it started but its much louder now. Probably bad bearings even though only 1 1/2 years old. Can't find anyone to replace the bearings here so just decided to buy a new pump. Should I stick with a 1 1/2 HP? Would like to stay with Hayward but any suggestions would be appreciated. 15,600 gallon above ground pool with Pentair Sand Dollar Filter SD-60. Thanks !
    18X33 Sharkline Morada Pool 15,700 gallons, Pentair Sand Dollar Filter SD-60, 1.5HP Hayward Pump, AquaLuminator Light, Solar Blanket & Reel and two 4' by 20' Solar Panels. TF-100.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Advice needed-Buying New Pump

I would say that the 1.5 HP is overkill for your pool. You don't have a water feature just returns and skimmers. I would strongly suggest going down to a 1 HP or 3/4 HP, preferably a 2-speed pump for even more energy savings. Is your voltage 120V or 230V to the pump?
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

+1 on a 3/4 or 1hp 2 speed pump and run it on low most of the time. You will cut your electricity usage by more than half.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    I would say that the 1.5 HP is overkill for your pool. You don't have a water feature just returns and skimmers. I would strongly suggest going down to a 1 HP or 3/4 HP, preferably a 2-speed pump for even more energy savings. Is your voltage 120V or 230V to the pump?
    Not sure about the voltage. How can I tell? I think its 120V. Pump says 115V on face plate.
    18X33 Sharkline Morada Pool 15,700 gallons, Pentair Sand Dollar Filter SD-60, 1.5HP Hayward Pump, AquaLuminator Light, Solar Blanket & Reel and two 4' by 20' Solar Panels. TF-100.

5. Back To Top    #5

take the back cover off to look at the wiring....you will likely see a plastic piece with arrows indicating the voltages
    115 or 230 whichever one the wire aligned with is your voltage.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

6. Back To Top    #6

Couple more clues. If the installer used the correct wire colors 230v will have black, red and green wires. 115v will have black, white and green wires. Is it a single breaker or double breaker?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

The model number of your current pump would also help to determine the voltage. Is it hard wired or plugged into an outlet? Sharing a picture of the nameplate wouldn't hurt.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

8. Back To Top    #8

Pump was plugged into an outdoor outlet but I had electricians hard wire an outlet with switches to my panel in the house. Of course they didn't label the panel ( I wasn't here) but I don't see any new double breakers. I will look for a smaller HP pump but I kinda like the 1 1/2 hp. The reason being I need some oomph to pump the water through the 4 hard plastic (cheap) solar collectors and back to the pool. I'll send the model # of the existing pump tomorrow. Thanks everyone !

9. Back To Top    #9

Even a lower hp motor should do fine with solar panels....it's not the hp rating so much as the Service Factor that counts.
    Look for an SF rating on the motor. on my last pool the 3/4 hp motor had an SF of 1...which was enough to run the solar panels up a two story roof.

It worked well.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.