Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solid Winter Cover Automatic Pump question

1. Back To Top    #1

Solid Winter Cover Automatic Pump question

I just finished installing the Deck Lock Aquamaster solid winter cover. It went pretty well, but my Hammer drill was underpowered. Had to rent a better one.
    My question is about a cover pump. I live in Northwest Ohio and we get a ton of snow. Is it okay to keep an automatic cover pump on the cover or will freezing damage the pump. And, is it even necessary....

Thanks
    rstandi

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solid Winter Cover Automatic Pump question

At a minimum you are going to want something to get the water/snow melt off in the spring. We need a cover pump anyway with our autocover during the summer, otherwise I would consider a manual siphon pump with a hose running down the hill beside our pool for the few times in the winter there is liquid water available to pump off.

All of the cover pumps I have seen have freeze protection, but I usually try to take it off before it freezes anyway. Last year that didn't happen and it spent the winter in a block of ice protected from the sun by a layer of snow. It took a few days in the spring after the ice/snow turned to water for some reason but eventually it did start pumping again, so apparently it didn't mind being in a block of ice for most of the winter. Even though it does have freeze protection I did unplug it while it was frozen.
    20,000gal in-ground 16x36 sentry pools vinyl liner, Pentair sand filter, Pentair minimax NT heater, auto-cover, Polaris 280 cleaner.