Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is adding too much bleach for winter bad?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is adding too much bleach for winter bad?

I think I added too much bleach 2 weeks ago for closing the pool. I added about 90oz of bleach and then covered the pool. I drained below the return lines which drained about 1/3 of the pool. I lifted the cover to see how much dirt was in the pool and the smell of bleach almost made me dizzy. Aside from a fading liner could this damage anything? Like make a hole in the liner? Or affect the micro mesh cover from the fumes or something? I felt like the rails that the cover lays on are turning black from the cover like 'dissolving or melting' it could be dirt though.

Edit I added the 90oz per pool path to get to a FC of 20 which I think I read you should do when closing the pool to get to SLAM levels.
    Gallons: 5000 Gallons
    Pool: 15' Saltwater 5000
    Filter: Pentair 1 HP Optiflow Pump w/ Clean & Clear 75Sq Ft Cartridge Filter
    SWG: Intex CS8110

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is adding too much bleach for winter bad?

Have you tested the FC/CC level after adding the bleach? Usually a heavy chlorine smell is due to combined chlorine rather than free chlorine. Was the pool clean and well maintained before draining and closing? How long has the pool been closed?
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

The pool was crystal clear before closing. No CC at all. Its now at about 22 or so

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm assuming that your CYA was tested at 50 ppm if you were closing with a target of 20 ppm SLAM. If that's the case, it should be fine. It could be that some CC had formed and outgassed and when you opened the cover, you got a good whiff. I would not be concerned with that level of FC at that CYA causing any damage at all to pool components.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

Should I open the cover for a few mins to let the gases escape?

6. Back To Top    #6

No harm in doing that, but not necessary. Your chlorine/cya level is fine.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

The active chlorine level gets lower at lower temperature at the same FC/CYA ratio so the effects of the chlorine should reduce as the water gets colder. In addition, chemical reactions slow down as the water cools.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"