new pebble sheen plaster start up

1eberk

Mar 15, 2015
Keller,X
Hi all, We are in middle of new pool build in Keller, Tx and I wanted to ask about start up procedures once the pebble sheen is applied. We also have a SWCG and I believe I heard to not add salt for the first 30 days? I looked in start up but guessing that's for folks who drain and fill every season. Thanks, Eric

Congrats on the new pool.

Here is the link to the new plaster start up article.
Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

Yes, 30 days is the normal waiting period before adding salt. It is most important to follow the instructions from your PB to keep your warranty in tact. It is also very important to keep your PH at 7.8 or lower. Use bleach to maintain your FC level and slowly get your CYA up.

Have you read these yet?
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs

Thanks so much for the links :) yes I have gone to school but will need refresher course before it is filled. I just ordered my tf-100 test kit and speed stirrer from TFP as im sure the one from my builder will not be good enough. I do have saltwater reef tank so im familiar with testing and relationship with TA/PH etc.

In AZ, all PBs add salt immediately after the first fill.
Not sure about TX, though. But, it is advisable to start the SWG only after the salt has fully mixed in - wait at least 24+ hours after salt is added to start SWG.

My PB added salt the day after the pool was full, so two days after pebblesheen and turned on the SWG immediately. There are lots of people who add salt right away and lots who wait. I don't know what the reason is for the recommendation to wait 30 days. But, using bleach to maintain chlorine levels the first month is easy enough. And could prevent algae problems if the SWG is slow to get dialed in.

it is worth waiting 30 days before adding the salt, and most builders recommend that.

It is because "salt water" is somewhat corrosive to new plaster pools. It is the cement that is affect by salt, and all plaster pools, quartz and pebble contains cement.

See the following thread: When Should Salt be Added?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.