Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: new pebble sheen plaster start up

1. Back To Top    #1

new pebble sheen plaster start up

Hi all, We are in middle of new pool build in Keller, Tx and I wanted to ask about start up procedures once the pebble sheen is applied. We also have a SWCG and I believe I heard to not add salt for the first 30 days? I looked in start up but guessing that's for folks who drain and fill every season. Thanks, Eric

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: new pebble sheen plaster start up

Congrats on the new pool.

Here is the link to the new plaster start up article.
    Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

Yes, 30 days is the normal waiting period before adding salt. It is most important to follow the instructions from your PB to keep your warranty in tact. It is also very important to keep your PH at 7.8 or lower. Use bleach to maintain your FC level and slowly get your CYA up.

Have you read these yet?
    Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks so much for the links yes I have gone to school but will need refresher course before it is filled. I just ordered my tf-100 test kit and speed stirrer from TFP as im sure the one from my builder will not be good enough. I do have saltwater reef tank so im familiar with testing and relationship with TA/PH etc.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yeah, I had to read that stuff 30 or 40 times before it all sunk in. But, once you get it figured out is a breeze.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

In AZ, all PBs add salt immediately after the first fill.
    Not sure about TX, though. But, it is advisable to start the SWG only after the salt has fully mixed in - wait at least 24+ hours after salt is added to start SWG.
    2015 build (link)| 16.5 K gal | Salt Water | IG rect | 35'x16' | 568 sf | 105 ft peri | depth 3'-5' | PV3 in-floor | 2 Venturi skimmers | MDX+SDX drains | T-CELL-15 SWG | Hayward Ecostar VS pump | Hayward 7220 DE Filter | Aqua Cal Icebreaker Heat / Cool pump SQ166 | Hayward Sense & Dispense PH Controller| Omnilogic | Pebble Sheen Blue Surf | Ultra UV | Stenner acid pump | Coverstar Automatic | TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

My PB added salt the day after the pool was full, so two days after pebblesheen and turned on the SWG immediately. There are lots of people who add salt right away and lots who wait. I don't know what the reason is for the recommendation to wait 30 days. But, using bleach to maintain chlorine levels the first month is easy enough. And could prevent algae problems if the SWG is slow to get dialed in.
    TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

Follow the PB's recommendation. Ours said not to add salt/no heater for 30 days as well. They also said no dogs, vacuums, or cleaners for fear of scratching the plaster in the first month.
    Helpful Links: Pool Chemistry 101 - Recommended Levels - Recommended Chemicals - FC/CYA Chart - SLAM Instructions - Pool Math
    Test Kits:
    TF-100 - Taylor K2006 - SpeedStir Upgrade - Taylor K-1766 Salt Test
    My Pool:
    28k IG built May 2015 - Autopilot SWG - Pentair VS Pump/DE Filter/Heat Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

it is worth waiting 30 days before adding the salt, and most builders recommend that.

It is because "salt water" is somewhat corrosive to new plaster pools. It is the cement that is affect by salt, and all plaster pools, quartz and pebble contains cement.

See the following thread: When Should Salt be Added?