Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Daughters pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Daughters pool

16 x 32 x 4 rectangular pool. Hayward sand filter and pump . I'm kinda at a loss testing with tf100 shows fc 30 ph 7.2 ta 130 cc 0 cya 30 pool is cloudy and with Taylor ch test kit the one with 2 vials ch and ph the ch side is orange never seen that
    AG 9000G vinyl-oval 15 x 24
    Hayward powerflo xl pump
    Hayward perflex DE filter
    TF100
    Wide mouth skimmer
    Direct sunlight all day
    W.PA/OH border

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Daughters pool

At that high FC, the TC test (in the K-1000 dual tube for pH and TC) will be various shades of orange from pale orange at 10ish FC all the way up to deep pumpkin orange at 30+ FC.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

You can't test pH when the FC is that high. The fact that your pH is reading 7.2 is disconcerting because high FC makes the pH test read high. So the actual pH of the pool water could be much lower than 6.8.

What was the pool chlorinated with??

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

Pool ch with bleach and am aerating now to raise ph
    Hayward powerflo xl pump
    TF100
    Wide mouth skimmer
    Direct sunlight all day
    W.PA/OH border

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by dogdays View Post
    Pool ch with bleach and am aerating now to raise ph
    Ok. Wait for the FC to drop before making anymore chemical additions. High chlorine levels can skew all the tests (some more than others) but it's better to wait.

Also, for chlorine, please use abbreviations FC, CC or TC. Using "ch" confuses it with calcium hardness (CH).

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you will try and be patient
    Hayward powerflo xl pump
    TF100
    Wide mouth skimmer
    Direct sunlight all day
    W.PA/OH border

7. Back To Top    #7

Looks like you have a handle on what needs to be done. Patient is the word of the day for sure.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Seems the previous readings were not correct nor did I know she added bags of shock. I took new readings
    Fc- 24
    Cc-0
    Tc-24
    Ph-7.8
    Ta- 130
    Ch-375
    Cya-70

Tf-100 test kit
    Water is still cloudy, we just want to close for winter
    TY
    Hayward powerflo xl pump
    TF100
    Wide mouth skimmer
    Direct sunlight all day
    W.PA/OH border

9. Back To Top    #9

What "bags of shock" was she adding and how much of it did she add? What city and state is the pool located in?

Matt

10. Back To Top    #10

Don't know type and quantity she is not here right now. Pool is located in Hebron, Ohio.
    Hayward powerflo xl pump
    TF100
    Wide mouth skimmer
    Direct sunlight all day
    W.PA/OH border

11. Back To Top    #11

Well, your options are these -

1. Wait for the FC to come down and try to deal with the cloudiness issue (it's very likely chemical in nature); OR

2. Winterize the pool, cover it and wait until Spring.

If you choose option #2, then I would advise that the pool be uncovered and opened as soon as the water temperature hits 50-55F consistently. That's below the 60F point at which algae likes to start to grow but it's warm enough to start up a pool. The reason I suggest this is because, right now, the pool is a bit of mess chemically speaking and with the high CYA there's a very good chance all that CYA could be converted to ammonia over the winter (by bacteria). If you wait too long in the Spring to open, you'll be fighting both a green swamp AND an ammonia mess both of which will require large amounts of liquid chlorine to fix. IN the meantime, it would be good to know what your daughter was shocking the pool with and then, come next spring, switch exclusively to bleach/liquid chlorine and stay away from the solid chlorine products.
    Matt

12. Back To Top    #12

Thank you Matt I will let her know. I need to head home tomorrow and she will have to take over.
    Hayward powerflo xl pump
    TF100
    Wide mouth skimmer
    Direct sunlight all day
    W.PA/OH border