Pool Wall Damag From Tree

Oct 20, 2015
Spotsy, VA
Hello everyone,
We recently had a bad storm that caused a tree to fall on our 27' above ground pool. It caved in a section of the wall and broke the plastic top rail.
The wall seems to be steel or aluminum with a steel top rail. Its folded over itself pretty good. I was wondering if its possible to replace a section of the wall.
Obviously we would have to most likely drain the pool and would replace the liner. The pool is maybe 4-6 years old.

The damaged section is maybe 2-3' wide.

Thanks for any help! :p

Can you contact the pool builder or manufacturer and ask if you can buy individual panels?

Could you do the replacement work yourself or would you need someone else to do it?

Another option is to keep an eye on Craigslist for anyone selling your pool brand/size AGP and perhaps it would be cheap enough to buy it for the wall sections and then recycle the rest to a metal dealer to help recover the cost.

I really have no idea what brand the pool is or who installed it. We just moved into the house a few months back.
Looking at it though it looks like the wall is all one piece, except for a stainless panel the inlet and strainer box is mounted to.

I guess I could try to replace it with a piece of stainless steel and rivet it to the existing wall, but I would be more comfortable having someone else do the work. (depending on cost of course)

Ouch. Sorry to see that.

The best solution would be to get a new wall, As was said, check with your homeowners insurance.

However, that does not look *that* bad. You clearly need a new top rail section, and a new section of the steel support channel that goes on the top edge.

You could try to straighten the edge back, and then bolt (or rivet) a new section of wall over the damaged area. The damage seems to be pretty confined to the upper portion of the wall You might be able to find someone who is getting rid of a pool, and then just cut a 8 foot or section of the wall they are getting rid of.

-dave

That's a lot of damage. :( Looks like you will need a new pool.

Definitely check your insurance, as a DIYer the wall is repairable, take it down beat it flat paint any exposed metal. If there are any holes, duct tape a piece of metal flashing over it on the inside. The hard part maybe finding the other pieces. You'll need to know the make & model. Check with the local pool builders, they may have records of the install, or recognize the pool as a type they installed.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Definitely check your insurance, as a DIYer the wall is repairable, take it down beat it flat paint any exposed metal. If there are any holes, duct tape a piece of metal flashing over it on the inside. The hard part maybe finding the other pieces. You'll need to know the make & model. Check with the local pool builders, they may have records of the install, or recognize the pool as a type they installed.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

He might be OK with beating it flat, or he might not. It is hard to say without looking at it. If there is a hard crease in there that will act as a stress riser, then it should really be reinforced. If there is none, then your solution would work. I myself would bridge the section with another section of wall (or barring that some coil flashing) and bolt the end to an undamaged section of the wall.

-dave

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Does Anyone Recognize This Pool?
Here is what I wrote in the other thread. May be worth a shot. Little bit of work, but you may find a resolution for the problem.
Chances are that the homeowner used a local pool company (within 1 hour). Hopefully, the PB is still in business and has kept excellent records, able to locate the original invoice, or at least the address. I believe this is one phone call after another trying to locate the PB.

I'll say it again, call your homeowners insurance and let them take care of it. It should be covered.

chiefwej is 100% correct. You could place a phone call to your insurance company, but probability is that they will ask you to get an estimate on what it would cost to repair the pool. This is why I mentioned locating the manufacturer through the PB. Maybe you can get a hold of the realtor who may be able to contact the old homeowner, if you do not have this information.

My bet is the insurance company will just replace the whole thing rather than trying to figure out how to repair.

Sorry to see your bad luck but it wasn't the house and nobody was hurt so the cloud has a silver lining.
Check with your local Leslie's Pool Mart. I believe they call this The Fusion and it is one of the nicer pools they sale. There are companies that sale replacement wall sections by the foot but that is an expensive option. You can order the complete wall and replacement parts but by the time you do this you probably spend as much as you would for a whole new kit. If you don't mind it matching you can possibly find a used pool or maybe a local pool company will have a damaged wall that they will sell you a section out of. I can't stress enough how careful to be with this and would recommend two sets of wall bars. This will give you strength and a bolt pattern at both ends of your patch section. There is a lot of pressure on these seams so bolt pattern is important. Also before you put the replacement in take a rustoleum primer and double coat the cut ends and drilled areas to prevent rust.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.