Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Wall Damag From Tree

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Wall Damag From Tree

Hello everyone,
    We recently had a bad storm that caused a tree to fall on our 27' above ground pool. It caved in a section of the wall and broke the plastic top rail.
    The wall seems to be steel or aluminum with a steel top rail. Its folded over itself pretty good. I was wondering if its possible to replace a section of the wall.
    Obviously we would have to most likely drain the pool and would replace the liner. The pool is maybe 4-6 years old.

The damaged section is maybe 2-3' wide.

Thanks for any help!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Wall Damag From Tree

Can you contact the pool builder or manufacturer and ask if you can buy individual panels?

Could you do the replacement work yourself or would you need someone else to do it?

Another option is to keep an eye on Craigslist for anyone selling your pool brand/size AGP and perhaps it would be cheap enough to buy it for the wall sections and then recycle the rest to a metal dealer to help recover the cost.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

I really have no idea what brand the pool is or who installed it. We just moved into the house a few months back.
    Looking at it though it looks like the wall is all one piece, except for a stainless panel the inlet and strainer box is mounted to.

I guess I could try to replace it with a piece of stainless steel and rivet it to the existing wall, but I would be more comfortable having someone else do the work. (depending on cost of course)

4. Back To Top    #4

If you can take a picture of it and post it here, perhaps someone will recognize the brand. Its worth a try?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Check with your homeowners insurance company. It may be covered.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Here are a few pictures of the pool.

7. Back To Top    #7

Ouch. Sorry to see that.

The best solution would be to get a new wall, As was said, check with your homeowners insurance.

However, that does not look *that* bad. You clearly need a new top rail section, and a new section of the steel support channel that goes on the top edge.

You could try to straighten the edge back, and then bolt (or rivet) a new section of wall over the damaged area. The damage seems to be pretty confined to the upper portion of the wall You might be able to find someone who is getting rid of a pool, and then just cut a 8 foot or section of the wall they are getting rid of.

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

8. Back To Top    #8

That's a lot of damage. Looks like you will need a new pool.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Definitely check your insurance, as a DIYer the wall is repairable, take it down beat it flat paint any exposed metal. If there are any holes, duct tape a piece of metal flashing over it on the inside. The hard part maybe finding the other pieces. You'll need to know the make & model. Check with the local pool builders, they may have records of the install, or recognize the pool as a type they installed.

Sent using Tapatalk 2
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by msgtdan View Post
    Definitely check your insurance, as a DIYer the wall is repairable, take it down beat it flat paint any exposed metal. If there are any holes, duct tape a piece of metal flashing over it on the inside. The hard part maybe finding the other pieces. You'll need to know the make & model. Check with the local pool builders, they may have records of the install, or recognize the pool as a type they installed.

Sent using Tapatalk 2
    He might be OK with beating it flat, or he might not. It is hard to say without looking at it. If there is a hard crease in there that will act as a stress riser, then it should really be reinforced. If there is none, then your solution would work. I myself would bridge the section with another section of wall (or barring that some coil flashing) and bolt the end to an undamaged section of the wall.

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

11. Back To Top    #11

Im going to try beating the wall back flat. Liner looks fine from what ive seen. I sent pictures to a local pool company, hoping they can find the top rail and support.

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Re: Does Anyone Recognize This Pool?
    Here is what I wrote in the other thread. May be worth a shot. Little bit of work, but you may find a resolution for the problem.
    Chances are that the homeowner used a local pool company (within 1 hour). Hopefully, the PB is still in business and has kept excellent records, able to locate the original invoice, or at least the address. I believe this is one phone call after another trying to locate the PB.
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

I'll say it again, call your homeowners insurance and let them take care of it. It should be covered.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

chiefwej is 100% correct. You could place a phone call to your insurance company, but probability is that they will ask you to get an estimate on what it would cost to repair the pool. This is why I mentioned locating the manufacturer through the PB. Maybe you can get a hold of the realtor who may be able to contact the old homeowner, if you do not have this information.
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

My bet is the insurance company will just replace the whole thing rather than trying to figure out how to repair.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

Sorry to see your bad luck but it wasn't the house and nobody was hurt so the cloud has a silver lining.
    Check with your local Leslie's Pool Mart. I believe they call this The Fusion and it is one of the nicer pools they sale. There are companies that sale replacement wall sections by the foot but that is an expensive option. You can order the complete wall and replacement parts but by the time you do this you probably spend as much as you would for a whole new kit. If you don't mind it matching you can possibly find a used pool or maybe a local pool company will have a damaged wall that they will sell you a section out of. I can't stress enough how careful to be with this and would recommend two sets of wall bars. This will give you strength and a bolt pattern at both ends of your patch section. There is a lot of pressure on these seams so bolt pattern is important. Also before you put the replacement in take a rustoleum primer and double coat the cut ends and drilled areas to prevent rust.

17. Back To Top    #17

Home owners insurance companies hate above ground pools
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

18. Back To Top    #18

this is in Massachusetts pool above ground metal

but is in line with what you may want to look for.

Cheap replacement.