Hairline Cracks Stains, Etc

Apr 13, 2009
Kingman, Arizona
I am a new pool owner who just picked up a repo with a 30' fiberglass pool that was neglected for almost 2 years. When I bought the house, there was only about a foot of water left in the deep end but it looked to be in pretty decent shape structurally. When I started really cleaning it I noticed several hairline cracks in the gel coat and some stains that just wouldn't come out.
What are my options for taking care of the cracks? Do I need a complete resurface or are they just cosmetic? Is there something i can do with the dirt stains?
After a bit of research I found the exact model of pool I have and my information should be in my sig. http://www.vikingpools.net/santabarbara.php
Thanks in advance and What a great website for us newbies.

Welcome to TFP!

Hairline cracks in the gelcoat probably aren't an issue. Removing stains depends on their origin. Metal stains may require the application of ascorbic acid to remove them from the surface. This can be tested by laying a vitamin C tablet on the stain for a day or so and examining the area for fading of the stain. Organic stains from decaying leaves or algae (good bet in a repo) will fade with high chlorine levels in the pool.

If it turns out that it is metal staining, read the Pool School article here http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/metal stains for guidance.

John

Welcome! :wave:

We sure do love pics so please don't be shy!

Well it has been a week since I filled the pool. It is a fiberglass pool and everyone I knew told me not to let it empty anymore than it already was(The walls were already bowed in a bit). There was about 1.5 feet of BLACK water in the deep end so instead of emptying and cleaning I took the solids out, nuked it and filled it. Since filling I have cleaned my 70 sq ft cartridge over 30 times in less than a week. All i could think of was my 2 girls and this forum's mantra POP (Pool owner Patience)

Yesterday I was able to see the bottom of the deep end for the first time and today I think I vacuumed the last bit of dirt off the bottom. I also added 2 pounds of CYA and bought a brand new filter cart. Threw in a thermometer and started cleaning the fittings for the slide.

I just want to thank everyone on this forum for the information. I would have been in pretty rough shape without.
As promised, here are some pictures

As you can see in the last picture, the fiberglass shell has pulled away from the deck a bit. Anyone have any Ideas on what to use to seal this back up?

Cheers,

Justin

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.