pump loses prime when vacuum is attached

Greta

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 25, 2013
I'm having trouble when trying to vacuum the pool. I'm doing it the same way I've been doing it for the past few years, but suddenly the pump started losing its prime once the vacuum was used. I have removed and lubed the gaskets, but as long as the vacuum isn't attached, the pump runs fine. I don't have a "swivel end" to get mixed up which I read about in older threads, and there isn't anything lodged in the vacuum hose, plus the return flow appears to be ok. Both ends of the hose, the one attached to the vacuum head and the end attached to the skimmer (pool only has one skimmer) have cracks, but they're both under water all the time so can't be sucking air. Any ideas??? I'm preparing to put the house on the market and want the pool to look sparkling. Thanks for any suggestions. I'm stumped, and here come the leaves...

I have examined the hose for any tiny hole and see none, and if it were a hole in the vacuum attachment point (i.e. the under-water hole to the skimmer), wouldn't it cause loss of vacuum all the time and not just when the vacuum hose was attached? I'm inclined to just buy a new hose, as I can't figure anything else out. Nothing seems logical.

Thank you for your support. The new hose didn't solve the problem. I believe there may be an issue with the hard plumbing, as we're having drought here in TX and ground shifting. I've exhausted every other possibility. Thanks again.

If this continues to become a nuisance for you Greta, I would encourage you (as Bob noted above) to post a pic or two of your equipment. That may help us a bit. Right now it's kind of hard to visualize what equipment (pump, skimmer, plumbing lines, etc) you have to work with. There are so many different set-ups out there, maybe something will jump-out at us with a picture.

Please tell us if you have 1 or 2 Skimmers and a Main Drain:

Try this:

Put the round plate on the skimmer. This should be sealed tightly immediately from the suction. Then set everything up and attach the vacuum head to the pole and hose. Run the hose to a return and fill up with water until the vacuum head lifts itself off the ground. Take your hand while still underwater and plug the vacuum hose not to introduce any air into the hose. Go to the skimmer and quickly put hose on vacuum plate. Let is sit there for a minute or so. Watch the return jets for air and when all the air is gone (which should not be more than a minute, you are ready to go).

Because we do not know your system, do one of the following. Slowly close the other skimmer all the way and you should feel the resistance in the vacuum head. If not, then close the main drain slowly (completely). You should have a lot of resistance at this point where you can no longer move the vacuum head freely. If this is the case, then carefully back off the main drain and open up all the way. If you still have resistance, then work slowly on other skimmer.

Essentially, what you are doing is creating more suction on the vacuum side and reducing in other areas. I can edit this post once I know more about your pool..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Catanzaro. I have only 1 skimmer and no main drain. I have been using the vacuum every other day for over 3 years now. This problem has just suddenly occurred, which tells me it has nothing to do with how I'm filling the vacuum hose. The guy at the local pool store also showed me an alternative way to fill the hose, which I followed, but the pump still lost its prime. I will post pics in a few days when I'm at the location of the pool (I have moved), if I can't find any local help. Thank you again. I really appreciate all the replies!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.