Can't complete my first SLAM?

Was 30 your starting point?
No, I started the SLAM at about 28 on 10/12. Spent days adding more chlorine as the FC kept getting eaten.
But since the 19th, when I did a better job of cleaning the infinity trough/catch basin, I've been at 0-1ppm CC and without new dead algae in the main pool.
FC stayed above 30ppm for a few days there, and now after a week of no chlorine, I'm down to 19ppm FC, 0 CC. I think I'm done, thanks everyone.

Now I need to figure out how to fix the trough so that it can be kept clean - it is a real PITA to move hundreds of pounds of decorative rocks to access the trough to knock-down/clean out
rotting leaves. I wonder if there are any robotic cleaners that can navigate narrow troughs (about 18" wide). Also could use some sort of netting (fiberglass?) so that leaves can't get in so easily but water can flow easily during the daily filtering.

We treat most manufactures instructions as 'suggestions'. If you want to know the best way, I would ask here first. Lots of folks who have been doing this stuff for years and are willing to pass along everything they've learned.
Thanks, taylor's instructions about daylight seemed to be more oriented towards color match tests than color presence tests like fas-dpd but they don't clarify it.

Yet when I read up here about the "best" way, the FAQ for fas-dpd testing, here Extended Test Kit Directions says to "follow the directions that come with the test kit" with no mention of a daylight issue with those directions.

More specifically the OCLT directions, here: Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) also don't mention sampling in the dark to get the test time as close to 8 hours as possible,

Thought I'd point these out in case there's interest in making the FAQs include details about the "best" way :)
Also if the FAQ had stressed that holding the reagent dropper full vertical was really important I wouldn't have made that mistake either.

BTW, my overnight FC stayed at 30ppm and CC went from 0 to 1ppm.

Did you loose only 1 ppm overnight in the FC?

Please make sure you go completely clear when adding R-0871, before adding 5 drops of R-0003 to test for CC. I found in my testing that If I rush and it does not go completely clear, I register CC, but retest again and CC is 0 (as I take my time). It appears your CC is going up and down.

Edit:

As I mentioned earlier, I had suggested to perform the OCLT over 8 hours, not a hard fast rule. If you go 10 hours and your loss is 1 ppm or less, this is even better. Also it is suggested when the sun goes down, so you can rule out the sun in your testing. It appears you are pretty much done. Congratulations! :D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.