Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skim Doctor?

1. Back To Top    #1

South Texas

Skim Doctor?

I came across this product today and was wondering your thoughts? : SkimDoctor 1.0 : Patio, Lawn Garden

A quick search revelead one guy that liked it

Replacement Weir door
    15,000 gallon free form Viking fiberglass pool. Hayward Star-Clear Plus C12002 cartridge filter. Hayward Swim Pure Plus T-15 SWG. Testing with TF-100 Kit. 2 speed 1.5HP Supreme pump. Dolphin Nautilus robotic cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: Skim Doctor?

I don't see how increasing the water velocity inside the skimmer would help. It's the higher velocity surface water flow at the skimmer throat that improves the skimmer operation.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide
    Hudson, WI

I can't figure out how that would be helpful ??
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. May 20 - opened for summer
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit -
    Please help keep the lights on so we can be here for others, become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I am new the forum and this is my first post.

I have the SkimDoctor 1.0 as well and it does not help. What ends up happening is that the SkimDoctor aerates the pump and blasts the sand filter which causes the sand to end up back in the pool. If you have an underpowered pump then you can use the SkimDoctor as a remedy to increase the flow. If you have a VS pump you probably can put the pump at a lower duty and get the same results.

The issue still arises with aeration because if the water level falls to a point where there is not enough head pressure then it might flow properly. Once the water level dips ever so slightly, the pump starts sucking in air, the pressure gauge bounces around, and once the pump re-primes the air in the system gets blasted out from the return jets along with sand (not good).

I've allowed rain to raise the pool level by another inch or so and will see how the SkimDoctor can handle the extra water. It's kind of gimmicky with most likely paid reviews. Going to browse this forum for a surface skimmer or something that actually works.