First time closing questions

grottoguy

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
NJ
My pool was built this year (plastered in June) and I have been doing my own chemicals since about July. The pool water is now below 60 degrees and I am ready to close it. I have hired a company that will put my LoopLoc cover on and close the pool. When I asked them what chemicals they put in, they told me EZPool (but I don't think any chlorine). I am planning to tell them not to put any chemicals in, but want to make sure I know what I should do.

If I understand correctly, I should shock my pool (a couple of days?) before they come. According to Poolmath, I will need 9 1/2 gallons of 6% bleach to get it up to shock level. My FC is 5.5 and I have a 40,000 gallon pool. It looked like shock level was 20 FC. Just a sanity check. Is that right? Do I just dump the bleach into the pool? How many days before they are scheduled to close should I do this? I don't plan on putting Polyguat 60 into the pool.

After I put bleach into the pool, do I need to wait for FC to go down or am I fine having them close it soon after that.

One last thing, when Pool school says add Bleach, I just go to supermarket and buy Clorox Bleach?

Anything else I'm missing.

Thanks

Because you do not know where your levels will be at time , 50% of the SLAM figure is best to target and maintain daily until the closing. I would ask them exactly what the label reads for the EZ Pool winterizing kit. If it contains metals, then I suggest against it. PolyQuat-60 non foaming, non-metallic has no metals. It is your best bet. Maybe ask them to quote you without chemicals. Yes, straight 8.25% unscented generic bleach from Wal-Mart or Target is fine. We find the 6% may have been sitting on the shelf to long. Also look at the Julian date stamped on the bottle.

Where in NJ are you? Ocean Odd Lot in Shrewsberry has a nice deal, but they may not stock it at this point.

Can you post a full set of numbers? What test kit are you using? Thanks!

I use the TFTtest kit (with speedstir). The closing is free (part of the cost of cover). I will just ask them not to put anything in.

PH 7.6-7.8
TC 5+
FC5.5.
CC.5
CH 300

Thanks
TA 60
CYA 50 (maybe 40)

My pool is being closed today by a Professional (i.e., not me) and it appears that I overshot on my addition of bleach. I use the Tfp test kit and my FC seems to be 27. I was shooting for 20. My other numbers are

ch 350; TA 60; CYA 50; my ph was 8.2 so I added some acid this morning and based on past history I think the PH will probably be about 7.8. I will test again later. Any issues with my FC being so high? I am
Not planning on adding any Polygat

If you are not planning on adding PolyQuat, then you are fine. If the PB adds an algaecide, it may remove (some/most/all) the chlorine. Most algaecide's contain metals, so stay away from them. I added to much PolyQuat, then had to add a little more liquid chlorine. It is cold enough that you should not run into any problems. Because you have a SWG, you CYA should be a little higher. Target the 80 CYA in the spring. It is suggested you open up the pool early Spring.

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

PH tests falsely high with chlorine over 10, so you were not likely at 8.2. Do not add anymore acid. If you added enough to drop it by .4 then you are likely down to 7.2-7.4, which is fine, but do not make any more adjustments to PH.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.