Questions about closing

Jun 9, 2014
SD
I live in an area that freezes and must winterize my pool. I've followed the BBB method all summer with great results! After researching winterizing, I have a question about chemicals - one place I read said to bring it to SLAM level and close and the other place I read said to bring it to SLAM levels 3 days before and make sure it holds and then let it drift back down to normal before the close. Which should I do?

Thanks so much!!

I live in an area that freezes and must winterize my pool. I've followed the BBB method all summer with great results! After researching winterizing, I have a question about chemicals - one place I read said to bring it to SLAM level and close and the other place I read said to bring it to SLAM levels 3 days before and make sure it holds and then let it drift back down to normal before the close. Which should I do?

Thanks so much!!

I do a 24hr and haven't had an issue.

Allow the TC level to drop to about 50% of the SLAM level, then add Poly-Quat 60 and allow to mix for 24 hours (if you can), then close the pool. Only add the recommended amount of Poly-Quat as this will consume a lot of chlorine. Happened to me and I had to add a little for bleach (for about 30 minutes), and then close. Each bottle treats around 20,000 gallons (If I remember correctly).

I believe either approach will work. I close 24 hrs after raising to shock/slam level, don't use polyquat, and open in April with residual FC of about 4 ppm.

Letting FC drift back down for longer is necessary if you use polyquat as they compete ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.